Part 7: The end of the beginning

Lily never had trouble with classes or homework it was quite easy for her. But she hadn't expected the workload they'd get two weeks before exams. In her eyes, the only class that was taking it easy was Charms. There were barely any essays, but mainly just practice on the spells they'd learned. It soon became almost every first yeclass. 

"I hate school!" Jace groaned into his open Potions book. 

"This sucks! This sucks!" he hissed. 

"Don't be a baby, big ears," Lola snapped with a roll of her eyes. 

Although she would never admit it, the pressure of all the homework had started to stress her out 

"We're first years!" Jace moaned.

 "We shouldn't have this much homework!" 

"Well we do, so suck it up!" Lola retorted. 

"Ok, children," Lily intervened. "Let's just finish these essays." Lily looked over at Jace's work. 

"The potion turns green after adding the nettles," she instructed.

 Jace looked at what he'd written. His head fell to the table in defeat. "I give up," he muttered.

 Lily laughed. "Just fix that, and then finish the essay. I'll help you go over it to make sure it's right." 

"You're a lifesaver, Lil," he said in relief. 

Lily grinned. "It's in the blood."

***********************************************************************************************

 When the day for exams came, you went in the order of your class schedule for the day. That meant that Slytherin and Gryffindor had their Potions exam first. Profhad them make a Forgetfulness Potion. Lily found it to be very easy, and each step was easy to follow. Toward the end, she found that she still had time, so she letlittle longer to produce a better effect when someone would drink it. This was something that Professor Slughorn had bragged about.

 "Miss Potter here has made the best I've seen in years. She even remembered that if you let it heat a little longer, the color will change, showing that the effect is more potent, Well done, Miss Potter. Twenty-five points to Slytherin!" Slughorn cheered.

 Lily grinned smugly over at Hugo, whose potion had turned into a sickly yellow. When they all left the classroom, Jace hugged Lily tightly."Thank you! Thank you for going over potions with me yesterday!" he thanked. 

Lily laughed as he pulled away. "How'd you do?"He grinned.

 "Not perfect, but much better than I would have. Mine turned close to the right color!" he exclaimed. 

Then he looked over at Lola. "Hey, dirty, 'Lola grinned smugly at him. 

"Mine turned exactly the right color. Not a shade different."Jace rolled his eyes. 

"And she'll probably never let me forget," he muttered to Lily. 

Herbology was next, and the first years had to write a very detailed paper on what Devil's Snare was and what it could do, and then how to pot it correctly. For bonProfessor, Longbottom said that if you could recite the poem that explained how to kill the plant, and then explain what the poem said, he'd add up to five points toscore.Transfiguration followed, and Lily found this one to be the toughest so far. You had to turn a hamster into a deck of cards, and then turn it back. Points got taken ofany hamster-like qualities left on the deck, and points were added if every card was there. Lily held her breath as Professor Bell counted the cards. She let out are when Professor Bell reached fifty-two. Then Lily countered her curse and turned the cards back into a hamster. Professor Bell smiled, congratulating her, and thenLily was thankful that the professor didn't seem to notice the small red heart on the hamster's belly.