Part 107: The reasons why we do

Scorpius didn't come home the next day, or the day after that for that matter. And it was only thanks to Lana that Lily even knew that he was staying with her and Dante for the time being. Lily took the time alone to sit and think about the question she had asked before he left. Why were they getting married? Why so soon? Were they rushing it? It was obvious that they were young and would still grow and change a little . . . but did these changes make a difference? Was it too much for both of them to handle?

Lily wouldn't quit being a model just because she was getting married. Despite how much she worried about Scorpius being an Auror, she would never ask him to quit. She should at least be able to expect the same from him. And she would also not stop talking to James. James was her big brother, and right now he was going through a rough patch. She would not abandon him now.

And Scorpius . . . it's like he was being a child about all of this! Or had he really put so little into what she said? Did he really just dismiss her claims of sticking with modeling and making up with James as just words?

Lana had told Lily that maybe they just need a little time apart. Time to figure out what they both wanted and needed. But Lily had to admit, to herself, that she missed waking up next to him. She missed him as a whole. And it just brought up a whole other question. One that hurt to think about.

What if they couldn't fix this?

Could she really live without Scorpius in her life? It seemed impossible for him to be replaced by someone else. Lily hadn't imagined herself with another guy . . . since even before she started dating Scorpius. But if their problems were deal breakers . . ., could she get past it? Could she go on with life as if everything was normal?

These were the questions that plagued Lily every minute of the day, even in her nightmares.

"Honestly, the idea of you and Scorpius not together . . . it seems impossible," Hugo admitted. He and Lily had gone to Lucy and Zack's flat, to see both Lucy and little Colin. After continuous prodding and coaxing, Lily had finally spilled everything that had happened days ago.

"That's what I always thought," Lily mumbled as she watched Lucy change Colin. "But . . . here I am, asking myself this question. I mean, they say marriage is hard, but it's starting to seem like getting to the wedding is the hardest part."

"Well ever since you started at Hogwarts, Scorpius was always an important part of your life, romantically or not. That's seven years of memories and love. I can understand why it'd be hard," Lucy sympathized as she pulled Colin back into her arms.

"I honestly never thought I'd be asking questions like this though," Lily murmured. "I had never before questioned if spending rest of my life with Scorpius was the right thing."

"Maybe you've just been together too long," Hugo said. "Let things cool down, and then it'll be easier to talk calmly."

"It's still scary that I'm questioning it," Lily whispered.

Hugo scoffed. "Face it. You two are meant to be stuck with each other. All couples fight, remember?"

"It's not the fact that we're fighting," Lily countered. "It's the questions, and how we're changing. We're both young, we still have maturing to do. What if it's pulling us in different directions?"

Hugo sighed as he pulled his hat off of his head. "Man, what is it about women? You make these things so difficult!" He moved so that he was looking straight at Lily. "Lil, do you want to know why you're marrying Scorpius? I'll tell you why. It's because you love him, and he loves you. That's why you two are getting married."

"Yeah, but . . ."

Hugo interrupted her. "Lily Luna Potter, soon to be Malfoy, can you look me in the eye and honestly say that you don't love that man with all of your heart?"