Part 27: The omen of a bad day

"So, Lily, will I be seeing you at my Halloween party tomorrow night?" Professor Slughorn asked. He was observing as she worked on a Draught of Peace. She was near the end, for the potion was only a couple of shades from its normal turquoise color, and it was giving off white steam that was getting closer to silver every second.

"Of course, sir. I wouldn't miss it," Lily assured him with a smile. "I will be accompanying Lysander to your party."

"Mr. Scamander? A wonderful young man, very intelligent," Slughorn complimented.

Lily smiled to herself. "Yes, I think so too."

"It should be such a splendid night. I have quite the guest list, plus a few extra guests," Slughorn rambled.

Lily simply nodded, knowing that once he started rambling, he'd keep going. She nodded in the right places and gave the appropriate worded responses when necessary as she continued to work on her potion. It was nearly finished now.

"Um, excuse me, Professor?" a deep voice asked over the sound of the door opening.

Professor Slughorn stopped talking and looked toward the door. "Ah, Mr. Scamander! What can I do for you this evening?"

Lily didn't stop stirring, but her eyes widened, and she quickly turned her head to see Lorcan standing in the classroom. That had been him talking? His voice was so much deeper than before. Much deeper than his brother's. And he was even bigger closer up. Lysander was still just a tad taller than him, but Lorcan looked as if he could pick Lily up and throw her. His body had filled out, and he no longer looked scrawny. What had happened to him?

Lorcan noticed Lily's gaze, and he smiled at her, giving her a wave. "Hey, Lil." Then he looked at Slughorn. "Um, I had a question on the essay you gave to us about explaining the properties and effects of Polyjuice Potion," he said.

Professor Slughorn grinned. "Ah, yes. Well, your question would best be directed at Miss Potter, my best student. I'm sure she could tell you if she has a spare moment?"

Lily looked at her professor with surprise. "Um, sure. I guess I could tell him."

Professor Slughorn ushered Lorcan into a chair. "Ask her anything, Mr. Scamander." Then he took a seat opposite them as if observing them.

Lily blushed a little as she sat down. She kind of felt like she was on a trial. She cleared her throat, hoping to get the lump out of it. "So, what's your question?" she asked.

Lorcan too looked a little bewildered, but he blinked rapidly and then pulled out his essay, a quill, and some ink. "Well, I was curious about the look and taste. The book said that it was different from person to person, but how are those things determined?"

Lily pushed her bangs out of her face. "Well, they say that when you add in the bit from the person you are transforming into the potion, it collects that person's essence entirely. So, say there was someone that you would call a sweet person, and their favorite color was purple. Chances are that when part of them was added to Polyjuice Potion, then the potion would turn purple and taste sweet," she explained.

"So, my favorite color is dark blue, and I've been told that I always smell like grass stains. So does that mean that if my hair was added to it, it would be dark blue and would taste like grass?" he asked.

She bit back a laugh, but Lily couldn't hold back the smile. "Hypothetically, yes."

Lorcan was scribbling down words furiously. "So, if someone perhaps had a heart of gold . . ."

"Then it might be gold in color," Lily finished.

"Awesome," Lorcan muttered with a smile. He stopped writing and smiled at me. "That was all really. Unless you know anything else about it?"