Part 71: Like a game of chess

Lily could barely pay attention while sitting in Potions. It was a practical day, leaving her with little to do, but she couldn't even focus when someone asked her for help. She was too preoccupied with wondering how the interviews were going. She picked up her list from the desk.

She had crossed off the names of the first years, who had done their interviews earlier this morning. She had chosen Marsh and Scott from Slytherin, and Hugo had chosen Simon Carver and Bailey Hanna. Randy had recommended Matt Stretton and Hallie McCoy, and Jaclyn had picked Klaus Aniston and Leah Barbu. Lily didn't know the other kids from the different Houses, but she had met them when leading them to Slughorn's office, where the interviews were being conducted. They all seemed nice, smart, and Klaus Aniston had been pretty witty.

But now the second years were in there. Lily was wondering how the first years had done, and what they had said. The others had assured each other that the ones the picked would definitely be on their side, but would also be great to the public image. Randy had given an example that Hallie McCoy's father and mother both worked in the higher ranks of the ministry. Her father apparently worked closely with the minister himself.

"Hey, Lily, I think I messed something up," Hunter called from his table.

Lily sighed as she moved away from the desk to help him. This was going to be a long day.

"So, we're up next?" Xavier asked during lunch. The Great Hall was buzzing with excitement, perhaps at the fact that the entire school knew about the interviews.

"After lunch," Lily confirmed. "She's talking with girls first, and then the boys."

"So, who did you choose from our House?" Megan asked. "No one dumb, right?"

Lily rolled her eyes. "No worries, Megan. I chose kids that shared our misery but will be able to talk about it in a smart way. Marsha and Scott for first years, Justin's brother John and Marley Bella from second year. Xavier's brother Alec and Monty's sister Eve as third years, Lance and Liz as fourth years. Then from sixth year I chose Tanner and Lance's sister Lisa, and Scorpius and Lana from seventh year," Lily listed.

"That's not a bad list," Lola complimented. "Have you talked to Marsha? How did hers go?"

"I haven't seen her since Hugo and I walked with the first years to the room," Lily replied. "But I did talk to Lance, and he said it went really well. And according to him, all of the other fourth years said basically the same thing."

"Hey there, guys," Hugo greeted as he came to sit with them. Immediately, he took a fork and stole a bite from Lola's plate. "So, Lil, I gotta talk to ya."

"What about?" Lily asked.

"Well, I didn't want to say anything in front of Randy, but I'm not so sure about having Robbie Ackerley being the right seventh year from Ravenclaw to do this interview," Hugo told her.

Lily raised a brow. "Really?"

"Well, I've been trying to figure out why you insisted on having him be the one to talk with Skeeter since last night. I mean, he's not the nicest guy, I know he's been prejudice against Slytherin House for a few years now," Hugo listed.

"I think he's an excellent choice," Lily retorted. "He might be on the verge of a change."

Hugo looked at her skeptically. "And why is that?"

"Well, he saved me from falling during our last match. And the Ravenclaws were all obviously angry with Slytherins after Scorpius attacked Lysander. But he still caught me. That has to mean something," Lily insisted.

Hugo scratched the back of his head. "I'm still not sure about it. I mean, he does one decent thing and he's suddenly forgiven for all he's said and done?"