Part 97: Life in future together

"Look, at this point in the match, I really want to get this over with," Lily yelled to her team over the raging storm that was whirling around them. November had come, and the day of the first Quidditch match brought horrible weather with it. It was making the game difficult. They could hardly see where they were going, or where the Chasers were throwing the Quaffle. It was hard to see or hear Bludgers coming. Slytherins had already lost a good and dangerous portion of their team. They lost Courtney, leaving their only Beater to be Riley Vaisey, the new one. He was nowhere near as good as Courtney. And they had lost two of their Chasers! That left only Lance to be their offense. Thankfully, Rachel was still up to defending the goals. And the Gryffindors had lost some players too. Both Beaters, and a Chaser. It didn't make the teams even, but it was better than nothing, Lily thought.

"I'm catching the Snitch as soon as I see it," Lily told them. A timeout had been called by Gryffindor, giving Lily time to update her team.

"But, Lil, we're still tied!" Lance replied. His hair was blown everywhere, a pair of goggles protecting his eyes.

"I don't care!" Lily retorted. "We're losing people fast! Before we lose anyone else, I want to win. Even if it is by a small margin!"

"But we can handle this, Lily!" Rachel argued. "Really!"

"Look, here's the plan. Riley, along with hitting the Bludgers, I want you to protect Lance. Stick by him, and make sure that when he has the Quaffle, no one steals if from him. Rachel, I want you to stick to the middle goal more often. Luck's on our side, and the wind is against them. That'll slow them down a little, and they can hardly see where they throw it anyway. And Lance, don't do anything fancy. Just get the Quaffle, and run it straight through. Got it?" Lily explained.

"Got it, Captain!" Lance assured.

"No problem, Lily!" Rachel agreed.

"Ok!" Riley said back.

Lily sighed, it going unheard in the howling wind. "Then let's get out there!" she told them.

When the whistle rang out faintly in the storm, Lily began to pick up her speed as she made her way in circles around the pitch. She mainly kept her search toward the Gryffindor goals. With all the wind blowing that way, she was sure the Snitch couldn't push its way toward the other end. Lily was starting to get exhausted. She was freezing, her muscles hurt, and her skin was burning from the air.

"And it looks like Gryffindor makes another goal!" Barnes announced, his voice somehow carrying through the storm. "This is one heck of a storm, people!"

Lily groaned as another chill went through her from the wind. Yeah, it was a storm, all right. She was starting to forget why she'd argued with Madam Hooch earlier about cancelling the game. It had been an option, but both teams had argued that they could play just fine. How wrong they were.

"I don't think this game can end! I'm not sure the Seekers will even be able to see the Snitch!" Barnes commented. Lily was starting to fear that he would be right about that. But Lily knew that she had to catch it. This was her last match against Gryffindor, and she refused to lose it now. Her winning streak was reaching seven years, and she wanted to keep it that way. This was one thing even her father wasn't able to do in the end, and she wanted to be the one to do it now.

"And that's another ten points for Slytherin! Higgs may be the only Chaser left for his team, but he hasn't let that slow him down," Barnes cheered. Lily began to fly lower. The Snitch had to be down low. She couldn't find it anywhere else. It had to be down here! "Oh! And it looks like McLaggen's losing control of her broom. It's some nasty wind today!"