Part 105: When tables are turned

October brought about a cool wind, but could still not shake the hot air. But it brought about change and news, and the coming date of Rose and Lorcan's wedding. Lily found herself shopping for bridesmaid dresses with Rose, which was more fun than Lily had thought it would be.

Victoire finally gave birth to a little girl that they named Fleur Nymph Lupin. A beautiful baby with mousy brown hair and light blue eyes. Lily found herself babysitting their kids more, along with baby Cecilia sometimes.

But the big news came early in the month. It had nothing to do with Victoire giving birth, and it had nothing to do with Rose and Lorcan getting married. It was all concerned with James. And Lily knew that this was the blow up she'd been waiting for.

"Hey, we feel better now, don't we?" Lily murmured to little Cecilia after she'd burped her. Now that Mrs. Chapman was finally able to go back to work, she left Cecilia with Lily some days of the week. Not that Lily minded. She loved it. She always made sure that Brandon didn't book a photo shoot for her on the days she knew Cecilia would need a sitter.

Cecilia gave a small baby's yawn, which was nothing new. All the times Lily'd watched her, Cecilia was always tired after she ate. Lily brought her to the bedroom, and tucked Cecilia into her and Scorpius's bed, placing her in the middle. Cecilia wasn't a baby that moved much in her sleep, but Lily would rather not ever risk it.

A knock sounded at the front door, so Lily hurried down the hall to get it. She opened it, and was mildly surprised, and of course happy, to see Hugo standing behind the door. "Oh, hey, Huey. Come in," she invited.

Hugo gave a nod as he came inside, shutting the door behind him. "Hey, Lil. I, uh . . . well I just got back from my parents' house, and I thought I should be the first to tell you," he started.

Lily raised a brow. "Tell me what?"

Hugo scratched at the back of his neck. "Well . . . it's about James."

Lily leaned back against the door. This could not be good. "What about him? Was he let out finally? I mean, he's been in St. Mungo's forever now."

"No, not yet. We're not sure when he'll get out yet," Hugo told her. "But, we do know that . . . he won't be playing Quidditch anymore."

Lily looked at him with surprise, then a bit confused. "Why can't he play anymore? Because of one little injury?"

Hugo shrugged. "Look I don't know all the details. This was just what I got from my mum. But I guess there's something about some of the muscles in the backs of his legs and knees. They aren't healing right, and something about them being too weak and easy to tear. And he was told that it was something no team would risk having him play just to become permanently injured in the process," he explained.

Lily sighed. "Wow, career ended at twenty-one. That's gotta suck."

"Well he obviously took that news badly, and as my mother was told by your mother, he's been refusing visitors. Even the press. It's understandable though, he has just lost the career of a lifetime," Hugo commented as he dropped down to sit on the couch.

"Well, that's gunna put a damper on Rose and Lorcan's wedding. A depressed James, assuming he's out of the hospital by then, and an apologetic Lorcan," Lily muttered.

"Oh man, Lorcan is going to feel terrible about it," Hugo sighed. "He felt bad enough when we all thought James would be able to play again."

"Well, only four days until the wedding. Let's pray we get through it without incident," Lily mumbled.

Lily and Scorpius walked up the lane to the Burrow in a content silence. The morning air was a little cool, but refreshing. Scorpius was carrying a small suitcase with his dress clothes inside. He knew he'd be helping the other men set up last minute things for the wedding, so he didn't want to get it dirty. Lily's dress was waiting for her at the Burrow, so she was dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a nice shirt.