Part 9: A Slytherin Dinner

Lily had started to do anything she could to not have to be alone with her brothers in the house. But she was lucky. James had started working for their uncle George's Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley, so he was gone for most of the day. Albus was either going to his best friend, Tyler Creevey's house, or he was somewhere else. Louis did stay for practically a week, but then he and his sisters went with their parents to see their relatives in France. Then she was constantly writing and Lola would visit every few days. 

August turned out to be a dreadful month for Lily though. Not dreadful, but she could see how it would lead to dreadful times at school. Midway through the morning, the Potters sat at the table for breakfast, when an elegant owl came in with three letters, each baring the Hogwarts seal. Harry had passed one to each of his children. 

"Here you are. Looks like we'll have to go shopping soon," he commented to Ginny. Lily opened her letter and looked over her list. She had an owl and a broom, but she would need the books obviously, and her potion kit was running low.

 "No way!" James exclaimed from his seat at the table. Like the rest of her family, Lily looked over at her brother. He was reading his letter with a look of shock. 

"What's up, bro?" Albus asked. James dropped his letter and scrambled for his envelope. He pulled a badge out of it. There was a bold P on it. Lily stared in shock at the prefect's badge in her bro James looked at his parents happily and smugly.

 "I made perfect!"Lily bit back a groan as her family congratulated him. James being a prefect would be a nightmare. She could easily see him cornering any Slytherin he could find. punishments for minor things. She could already feel the dread that her second year could easily become.

 "Your grandma will be very happy to hear about this," Ginny said happily. "She always got excited when one of us made it." 

James didn't lose the smug smile for days. A few days later, the entire family met up at the Burrow, and Grandma Weasley had insisted on making a big deal about it just got worse because Molly had made perfect as well. Not that she wouldn't take advantage of it like James, but she would never shut up and be annoyingly us And Lily was right."I knew I'd be perfect," Molly said to the other girls, brushing her red curls off of her shoulder. 

They were all sitting in Ginny's old room. Their grandmother had stuffed them together, even though they didn't all get along, and Lily could see prospects of a fight breaking out because Dominique had a bad attitude toward everyone in the family and would start arguments at the simplest things. 

"I mean, out of my year of Gryffindor girls, who else would they choose?" Molly questioned snobbishly. "I mean, the other girls are so . . . childish sometimes. They wouldn't be able to handle the responsibilities." 

"Perhaps," Dominique seethed, finally looking up from her magazine, "but they might at least shut up about it, and spare us from hearing it!"Molly just gave Dominique a nasty look. Rose intervened, probably not wanting a fight. 

Lily was a bit disappointed. She was wanting to see who would have won the fight,

 "We're glad you and James made it, Molly. You two will do great."Molly sniffed huffily.

 "Well, I know I will, but I worry about James." Lily rolled her eyes. So she wasn't alone? "I mean, he can be a child, and I wouldn't be surprised to take advantage of his new position. That would be just like him." 

"Just shut your mouth, Molly!" Dominique snapped. "We don't freakin' care!" 

"Don't be such a brat, Dominique!" Molly retorted.