Part 99 : Decisions always ride on shoulders

Lily felt as if her heart would never stop pounding so roughly in her chest. Engaged. She was officially engaged to Scorpius Malfoy. It felt so different and yet so fantastic! It was so different from just the simple knowledge that she would one day be engaged to him. Now she really was! And honestly, it made her miss him all the more, and it had only been ten minutes since she'd left him. And she'd only left him because it was nearing the end of their Hogsmeade trip, and she was forced to go back. Otherwise, she probably never would have.

"I don't know if this is going to make our time apart seem shorter or longer." It was something that Scorpius had admitted before they parted ways at the Hogwarts gate. Now she was making her way down the path to the castle, hungry for dinner, and excited to tell the others. But Lily didn't even step inside the castle before she saw Hugo. He was standing just outside the door in the dusk light, obviously waiting for her with a smile on his face.

Feeling like her heart would burst, Lily ran to him, and hugged him tightly. Hugo hugged her back just as hard, and even lifted her off her feet. "Congratulations, Lily. I'm really happy for you," he whispered near her ear.

He put Lily back on her feet, and Lily looked up at her cousin. And oddly enough, with all the emotion in her chest and throat, she felt her eyes water a little. "Thank you, Huey. You are not only the greatest cousin, but also the greatest best friend in the world."

Hugo's smile softened, and his ears turned a little red. "Same to you. And you're also one of the greatest girls I know, and you deserve to be as happy as you are now. That's why I was not only honored that Scorpius told me and included me, but I was also happy to do it for you."

Lily hugged her cousin again tightly. "Thank you," she murmured, blinking back those minor little tears.

Hugo squeezed her once before letting her go. "Come on. Let's go to the kitchens. Then you can tell me all about it, and drive the other girls crazy by not showing up at dinner," he said with a grin.

Lily laughed and let him lead the way.

Their walk to the kitchens was in a comfortable silence. But once they'd arrived, and the house elves had provided them both with a plate of food, Hugo gave her a sly look, and held out his hand. "Come on. Let me see it."

Lily laughed again and placed her left hand in his. "It's really kind of simple, but I think that's why I like it so much."

"It fits you," Hugo agreed as he let her hand go. "So, where's his Slytherin ring now?"

Lily showed her right hand, where it was now placed on the other ring finger, where hers had previously been. "We made a trade. He has mine now, which he says he's going to put on a chain to wear around his neck."

"Cute," Hugo commented. Then he sighed. "So . . . how's it feel?"

Lily allowed herself to take a bite of her food before speaking so that she could arrange how to word her thoughts properly. And she found that it was difficult to put it into words. "Well, know that feeling you get when you're with the one you love? The feeling you get when you're with Stacy?"

Hugo nodded. "Yeah. I get ya."

"Yeah. Like your heart's going to burst at any moment, and it's going to set off a million different sparks of love and happiness?" Lily continued.

Again, he nodded. "Yeah."

"Well, it's like my heart finally exploded into those sparks, but they're not dying down. They keep popping and sizzling, and sending sparks through my veins and nerves. Like it's never-ending." Lily smiled. "It's the best feeling in the world."