Part 78: Checkmate

Lily sighed at the feel of a warm butterbeer sliding down her throat. She relaxed into the stool she sat in, resting her elbows on the counter. Hugo stood in front of her, wiping the counter down. It was around dinner time for most, and the Leaky Cauldron surprisingly wasn't that full. A few tables here and there were occupied.

"So, you talked to Lucy since you helped her home after puking?" Hugo asked.

"No, but my guess is that she's either brooding over Tyler, or trying to get past the fact that she lied to her parents and then got drunk," Lily replied.

"Well once we get to school we can be around more and help," Hugo assured.

"That's a long ways a way though," Lily sighed. But then she looked back at her cousin. "So, have you talked to Lola?"

This time Hugo sighed. "A little yeah. Nothing big or important."

"Is she avoiding the topics?" Lily asked.

"No. But she doesn't bring them up and . . . I just can't bring myself to do it. Every time I start to, I think 'why does it matter,' and then I decide to just forget it," Hugo admitted. He sighed again. "I think we're fallin' apart, Lil. But we're just too comfortable with each other to fight and break up."

Lily gave her cousin a sympathetic look. "Do you love her?"

"Not like I thought I would. And I know you said that it takes time, but my gut tells me that it's not going to happen ever," Hugo murmured.

"Are you ok with that?" Lily inquired gently.

"Well I'm not thrilled about it. I mean, I like what we have. We're comfortable, and we know each other. I can say something stupid and she's not surprised." They both laughed lightly at that. "But, I want more than that, and she deserves more than that. She deserves someone that'll love her. And I don't wanna string her along just because we're comfortable," Hugo said with assurance.

"When are you gunna break it to her?" Lily asked before finishing off her drink.

"First opportunity. No reason to drag it out," Hugo told her.

Lily nodded. "That's probably a good idea." She pushed the empty bottle toward him, and he picked it up and tossed it in the trash. "So, how much longer do you have to work?"

"Another couple hours. When do you have to be home?" Hugo asked.

"Soon. I just told my mum that I was shopping, and I wouldn't be long," Lily told him.

"Did you tell her what you were shopping for?" Hugo asked.

Lily nodded. "Yeah, I told her and my dad. I just hope they don't bring it up. I just want it to be low-key."

"Yeah. I can imagine the shock everyone in the family would have if they learned that you just went out and bought Albus a belated birthday present," Hugo agreed with a chuckle.

Lily grinned. It was true. For the first time, she'd bought Albus a present all on her own. And for the first time since before she was Sorted, she was actually giving him a gift, period. But wanting to avoid any awkwardness or fights, Lily had simply sent it to him. That way he could do with it what he wanted, and she wouldn't know.

"So what did you get him?" Hugo asked curiously.

"A Foe-Glass Mirror. I remember my dad saying that they were really useful to Aurors on missions, so I thought I'd get him something he might need," Lily replied.

"That's not a bad idea. My dad has one on his bedside table," Hugo agreed.

Lily ran a hand through her hair. "Well, I'd better be going. Knowing my luck, my parents are expecting me for dinner."