Part 93:Stopping a repeat in time

"Dear Lily,

There's really no news on the Board of Governors. When old wizards get together to debate, you know how long they can take. But I do have news on Jon Ricardo.

After taking various memories, we have found each account of him attacking a student. Sadly, none of these memories revealed a face, and no names were said. Honestly, it worries me to think that those boys could have been smart enough to anticipate their memories being looked at. But anyway, Jon Ricardo had his hearing, all evidence has been shown, and we have listened to his confession. He will serve five years in Azkaban, and will be examined mentally once a month. Well, that was the Wizengamot's wording. It basically means that he'll be counseled once a month.

I thought that I'd give you an update on his punishment. Also, concerning the Helmsley boy, we've sent out an Auror to keep an eye on him, just to be sure that this issue isn't larger than we know. And, we know he feels safer with an Auror keeping a silent eye.

Take care, princess.

Love,

Dad."

Lily sighed as she read over the letter during breakfast. She was glad that Ricardo would be put in Azkaban for his actions, but the letter did nothing to calm her fear of Hogwarts's future concerning the issue. Had this guy really been that smart? Smart enough to know their memories could be searched? If he was already that smart . . . how much was he anticipating?

"Man, I still cannot believe how close that match was between you and Hufflepuff yesterday," Jace mentioned to Hugo.

Hugo sighed and nodded. "Yeah, tell me about it. And Lucy kind of laid into McLaggen for catching that Snitch so early."

"Can you blame her?" Lily replied. "I mean, you guys beat them by ten points when she caught the Snitch. They'd been creaming you, and she catches it? It could have lost you the game."

"Yeah. McLaggen kind of sucks when it comes to understanding what a strategy is. Lucy tells her to end the game as soon as she can, as long as Hufflepuff isn't way ahead of us. They're beating us by like fourteen goals, and she snags the Snitch," Hugo muttered. "If she doesn't improve, I hope she gets kicked off the team next year."

Lily simply listened halfheartedly as the two began to talk Quidditch strategies. She was more concerned about the situation. She and Hugo had yet to decide on what exactly they would do, now that they had decided to try and step into the shoes of a seventh year boy. It had only been two days, but the boy still wasn't caught, and although injured kids were found, none were found dead. But Lily knew that Dumbledore's words were still echoing in each prefect's head.

Lily ran a hand through her hair. Part of her wanted to talk to Dumbledore again. She had the feeling that if she simply knew what event he was talking about, then she'd have a better idea of what to do. But the other part of her knew that he probably wouldn't just give a clear answer. She sighed internally. Dalton McLaggen was right. They needed help. And at the moment, Lily needed help to understand the words of Dumbledore. Luckily, she had a good idea of who to ask for help concerning this. She stood from the table, giving the others a short excuse for leaving, and then hurried out of the Great Hall, and down toward the dungeons. Once she was in the common room, she rushed to her dorm, and dug through her things for a piece of paper and a quill and ink.

"Dear Dad,

It's good to know that Ricardo got a proper punishment, and it is scary to think of how much the boys could have anticipated.

Actually, Dad, I was wondering if you could come down to Hogwarts? I really need to speak with you. Actually, I kind of need your help with something. It's too much to say between letters, so I'm hoping we can talk in person. And if you could, make it as soon as possible. Time isn't anything that can be taken lightly with this situation.