Part 62: Our cousins, Our saviours

"Dear Victoire,

Hey, I know it's probably weird for me to be randomly writing to you. I'm sorry I don't do it more often. But actually, I need your help with something. Well . . . more like I need to ask you something. But before I ask you, I want to know that you won't tell anyone about it. I know that you'd never tell a secret, and that you would never betray anyone's trust, but this is really important and really big, so I'm a bit hesitant about it. In fact, I'm hesitant even writing it down. So, can I trust you with this? Because it's something I don't even want my parents to know. Actually, especially not them. Please, write back to me soon.

Love,

Lily"

Lily read and reread her letter again. She felt nervous about this letter. What if Teddy got a hold of it? What if he read it? Or, what if Victoire didn't write back? What if she told Lily's parents about the letter?

"Give me that," Jace took the letter from her hands, and placed it in the envelope that Lily had sitting on the table. He sealed it, and then put it on her lap. "There. Now, do I need to walk you to the Owlery to mail it too?"

Lily sighed. "I don't need you to, but would you?" she asked.

Jace nodded as they both stood up. "Yeah, yeah. Let's go." They stepped out of the common room, and made their way through the castle.

Lily looked at her friend. "So, Jace, you seem much calmer than you were before break," she commented.

Jace shrugged. "I guess."

"You gunna tell me what was up?" Lily asked.

Jace shook his head. "No offense, Lil, but I don't want to tell anyone. I just wanna keep it to myself."

Lily nodded. "That's fine. I'm just glad that you've started hanging around with me and Lola again. And I know Hugo likes having another guy friend when he's down in our common room."

"Yeah, and I really like hanging out with Hugo. Despite past fights, he's a really cool guy now," Jace said.

When they reached the Owlery, Lily didn't even have to whistle. There was a loud flutter of wings, and she caught sight of Regal dropping from a high perch. He landed on her shoulder, and rubbed his feathery head against her ear.

"Hey there, Regal," she greeted with a soft whisper. "I've got a letter for ya." Regal shifted his position, and looked at her with wide eyes. Lily held out the letter, and he clamped it carefully with his beak. "Take this to Victoire for me, buddy. And don't give it to Teddy. It has to be to Victoire," Lily instructed. "And make sure they feed you something before you come back."

Regal blinked, like a nod of understanding, and then took off from her shoulder. He flew out of the door, flying by Jace, and then he was gone.

Lily sighed as she flipped through a Herbology book. She had an essay due the next day, and she had yet to finish the paper. So she sat in the library, trying to get three more inches so that her essay could be complete.

Lily groaned as she stood from her table in the library. She picked up the book, and made her way back to the Herbology section. She let it float back to where it belonged, and then began to search the spines for another book. She loved her uncle Neville, but she really didn't care about gillyweed.

It was a sudden feeling, but Lily felt eyes on her. She quickly stood straight, and looked around her. There was no one but a Hufflepuff at a far away table, but he seemed very intent on his book. Lily turned back to the bookshelf, but then heard steps, and felt that feeling again. Looking from the corner of her eye, Lily looked to the end of the aisle. She saw the bright blonde hair of Marsha, and the dirty blonde hair of Christian's little brother, Riley.