Part 76: Change in the air

Lily sighed as she slipped on her Slytherin pendent, and picked up her lip gloss. As she applied it to her lips and looked at herself in the bathroom mirror, she would openly admit that she was very pretty. Her hair was curled loosely around her, emerald earrings in the lobes of her ears, and the white dress that Astoria had made her wear for Christmas at Malfoy Manor. But it felt so wrong to look so pretty on a day that filled her with heavy despair.

"Don't look so upset," Lola said from the doorway. "It's only two days. Then you'll be back in his arms."

Lily sighed as she put down the lip gloss. "I know, I know. It's not the two days apart that upsets me, although that will suck. It's the two years apart that's getting to me," she muttered.

"Well at least pretend to be cheerful. It's Scorpius's graduation," Shannon reminded as she moved past Lily to grab a perfume bottle. Shannon looked very pretty as well. Her hair was up, and she was dressed in an emerald color knee-length dress. Shannon was also going to the ceremony, to see her sister Miley graduate alongside the others in seventh year.

"I plan to fake happiness," Lily assured.

"So, is Hugo going?" Lola asked curiously.

"Hugo, Louis, Lucy, and Roxanne," Lily replied. "We're all going, although I'm only going for Scorpius, and even though Rose was the one to put Hugo on the student list, he says he's only going for Dom and Scorpius."

"It's weird to think that Dominique won't be down here anymore," Izzy commented as Lily walked back into the room.

"She was probably one of my favorite Gryffindors," Megan agreed.

"That's because you're both bitches," Lily muttered as she slipped on her shoes.

"I know, that's what made her cool," Megan retorted.

"I think it's weird to think that I'll be the last kid in my family to be at Hogwarts after today," Shannon mentioned as she came out of the bathroom.

"That's right. You are the youngest, huh?" Izzy replied.

"Yep. First there was Adrian, now Miley, and then just me," Shannon said with a sigh.

"You went to Adrian's right?" Lily inquired.

"Yeah, I saw his graduation," Shannon told her.

"Well, then how does this whole thing go?" Lily questioned.

"Ok, first we'll be sat in the student section. Then music will start, and the procession will start, and the seventh years will then sit in the front. Then after a brief speech from the headmaster, they call out each name, the students go up, shake hands, take their little diploma thing, walk back down, and then are smothered by family and friends. Then they all board the boats, and ride back across the lake to Hogsmeade Station," Shannon explained.

"It's loads of fun," Megan muttered.

"It is kind of boring. And it can be awkward when you don't know what to say to people afterwards. Me and Adrian just stared at each other. Then he clapped me on the shoulder, told me not to get knocked up, and that was it," Shannon said with a roll of her eyes.

Lily chuckled. "That actually sounds like Adrian."

"Yeah, it was a joy to hear in front of my father, who then questioned why my brother would have to issue that warning," Shannon grumbled.

"I would have killed Dante if he had done that at his," Megan retorted.

"Me and Ginger didn't really say anything when I went to see hers years ago," Lola commented. "We just hugged, and that was that."