Part 113:Shadows Looming Over

Lily hadn't been sure exactly where to go first when Victoire told her the news. So many emotions and thoughts were clashing around in her head, and it almost gave her a headache. Scorpius was gone, had left without telling her himself, so he wasn't an option. Right now she didn't even have a moment to be angry again.

But when Lily found herself walking into the very familiar Auror Department, she knew exactly what she needed to do. She got a few greetings from people she knew, or that had known her since she was a baby. And from some, probably Scorpius's teammates, she saw a bit of hesitation, like even they knew he was probably in trouble and she was angry. But she ignored them all and continued to the door she wanted. The door that had a name engraved on it.

"Head Auror Potter"

Lily knocked, wondering if her father was even in right now. Maybe he would be eating lunch with someone, or at home eating. He often did at times. But she heard him call from inside, so she opened the door and walked in, shutting it behind her. There her father sat, a sandwich in his hands, sitting in his chair with his feet on the desk. When he saw it was her, he smiled happily.

"Lily flower! I'm surprised to see you here," Harry commented as he sat his feet on the floor. "Come in and sit. Are you hungry?"

Lily shook her head as she silently sat down. "No thanks, Daddy. I just . . . I wanted to talk to you."

Harry put down his sandwich, as if sensing the seriousness in her tone and words. "Ok. What about?"

Lily took in a deep breath. "Well . . . I actually need to tell you something. Because if I don't tell somebody, I think I might explode. But Scorpius left on a stupid mission . . . so I thought I'd come tell you," she ranted.

Harry just gave a nod, practically in complete Auror mode now. "What is it, princess?"

Lily bit her lip. Again, she felt like a small child while sitting in front of her father. Like she'd done something bad and had to confess. "Can you promise to not be angry?" Just in case. Lily wasn't in the mood to risk it, and then deal with it.

"I promise," Harry assured. "Just tell me."

Lily sighed. Just like always, his tone was soft and concerned, but still calm. She felt like she was five, but nothing about her news was that of a five-year-old. "Daddy, . . . I'm pregnant."

For a quick moment, Harry was silent. But then he sighed and rubbed his temple with his thumb, obviously refraining from running a hand through his hair. "Oh. Wow."

Lily nodded. "Yeah. I . . . I missed a potion," she admitted. "Victoire says that I'm a month in. It's due in November."

Harry looked at his daughter, and Lily found that it was oddly hard to tell his emotions this time. "How are you?"

Lily gulped. "I'm . . . I don't know, really. I mean, I'm happy, and excited. At the same time I'm a little scared. But overall . . . I don't know how to word it."

Harry gave a nod. "Yeah. That sounds about right," he agreed.

"What do you think, Daddy?" Lily asked quietly, almost afraid of his answer.

Finally, Harry ran his hand through his hair. "Well, honestly, I wish this could have waited until you were a bit older. More settled."

Lily nodded. "Yeah, so did I. But . . . I'm still happy. It wasn't what we'd planned, but . . . it's still a baby. One that we made. I mean . . . how can I not be happy about that?"

Harry gave a small grin. "I understand that too. I also understand how things don't go as planned too."

"Are you disappointed?" Lily questioned, finally asking about her real fear. The disappointment. Something that Lily had always hated.