2

Chapter 2. Second Branch

Sure enough, fifteen minutes after You Jin returned to the west wing with Little Ninth, old Mrs. Chen sent someone to call her to go to work. Yue You Ting stood outside the door of the west wing and raised her voice and shouted, "Yue You Jin! Grandmother is calling for you!" Not caring whether anyone inside heard or not, she turned away.

Sighing, Yu Jin comforted Mrs. Su again. "Little Ninth's fever has gradually faded away. Mother, better take care of the little brother in the stomach. Don't be sad." Then she took You Yin to the main room.

Looking coldly at the two annoying granddaughters, old Mrs. Chen said coldly, "Why are you still standing so foolishly? Still not cooking, do you want to starve the whole family to death?" Yue Family's cooking, feeding pigs and such works were rotated between the two branches as the third branch lived in the county town all year round. Each branch rotated on the 15th. Today was the last day of the second branch's turn.

Yu Jin's heart was resentful, however, the year in and year out of forbearance made her accustomed to the old Mrs.Chen's bias and viciousness. The current her doesn't have enough ability and counterattack, so she can only hold in her inner emotions and say nothing. She silently headed to the kitchen with You Yin.

The Yue Family hasn't split up yet. The three branches have 21 people altogether. Besides Yue Wen Tao and Yue Wen Li brothers who are studying in the county town's academy and also the third branch family living in the county, there are 15 people to feed in the family. Because of this, cooking was also a difficult project.

Yue You Jin was only eleven years old this year, and Yue You Yin was only nine years old. However, the two sisters have been working along with Mrs. Su since the age of five or six. The works in their hands were done very fast. Yue You Yin squatted in front of the stove and started the fire. Yue You Jin cut the eggplants with 'tuk,tuk,tuk', then stir-fried a large pan of eggplant with pork beans. Next, she fried cabbage and dinner was done.

She divided the two dishes into two portions. The larger portion was to be placed at the table where the Yue Family's male was sitting. The leftover one-third of the dishes ended on the table headed by the old Mrs. Chen.

The Yue Family's food has a certain quantity every day. Even though it wasn't old Mrs. Chen who cooks, but the power of food amount was always firmly in her controls. Old Mrs. Chen filled herself with a full bowl first and then slightly-favored Yue You Ting stuffed her bowl full. Afterward, it was Mrs. Chen's turn. Only then leftover brown rice mixed with many sorghums was divided between the second branch's seven daughters and it was just a half bowl for each.

In fact, the Yue Family already counted as a wealthy household in Cuifeng Village. But because of funding two grandsons to study in the county academy and old Mrs. Chen was always stingy, the food wasn't really good.

After You Yin busied for the whole day today, her stomach was so hungry it growled. She held her chopsticks and picked a few pieces of eggplant. Before her chopstick left the dish, the eggplant was swiftly hit back into the pot by a pair of a chopstick from old Mrs. Chen, who had her eyes on it.: "All day, only know to eat. Would you starve to death from eating less? Really are some starving ghost reincarnated as money-wasting goods !"

You Yin did nothing and got berated in her face by grandmother. Instantly her eyes became red but she didn't dare to cry out. She lowered her head and silently sobbed. In the family, they can eat meat twice a month. There are children salivating. But how could You Yin dare to stretch over her chopstick to get the meat? However, she didn't see the meat wrapped by the eggplant.

You Jin hurriedly stopped the old Mrs. Chen's next move with a smile, and swiftly put the piece of meat that You Yin had picked up by mistake into old Mrs. Chen's bowl: "Grandmother must be tired today, eat more."