28

Chapter 28. Fever during the snow

In recent years, the weather was getting colder and colder. Even the continuous Cuifeng Mountain was now a vast expanse of white. The snow on the roadside of Cuifeng Village was nearly a foot deep. At the sight of the deep snow, the elderly in the village were delighted to point their eyebrows raised: "Timely fall of snow means a bountiful year. It seems that next year will be another good harvest year!"

You Jin didn't understand this. She just felt that deep snow meant difficult movement. In this cold day, she went up to Cuifeng Mountain alone. Old Mrs. Chen had said the New Year was approaching and the family had too many people, there wasn't enough firewood. So she sent You Jin to Cuifeng Mountain to collect firewood.

If anyone from outside found out about this, they would all laugh out loud: Yue Da Fu and Yue Chang Lu were both at home isolating. Two grown men didn't go out to collect firewood, but instead let a little girl less than twelve years old go up the mountain for firewood! One must know that in the middle of winter, all the animals in the mountains were short of food. If one encounters some tigers or wolves, they will forfeit their life!

How could old Mrs. Chen possibly care? It was because she clearly knew that going up the mountain at this time might kill her. That's why, she sent You Jin there. Sitting on the kang, she winked and said, "If she is caught by a tiger, it can only be said that her life isn't good. Can't possibly make the men at home toss around for her!"

"What Mother said is right. If I wasn't pregnant now, I should have served Father and Mother more." Wan Niang was standing up to talk without a backache. Although she had only entered the door for more than half a month, she knew how to coax old Mrs. Chen to merry mood: "You Jin is the eldest daughter of our second room. Elder Sister Su is not in good health. She should be more filial to Mother."

Old Mrs. Chen was spinning under Wan Niang's buttering up and nodded with satisfaction: "You are quite sensible. Nothing in this world is bigger than the word of filial piety, right?"

Sitting cross-legged on the kang, she was busy sewing for Yue Da Fu's New Year's clothes. She didn't care about her granddaughter who could die at any time in such cold weather.

Thankfully, You Jin got rich experience in wild survival in her previous life. It was just getting firewood at the foot of the mountain. Not a big deal. She carried the back basket she usually carried. Inside it was a firewood knife that she had polished shiny. Stepping on the snow, she carefully wandered around in the mountains. After all, the mountains were full of hibernating animals. If she break into the den of a blind bear, it will be completely chilly.

Maybe You Jin was really unlucky. As she focused on not disturbing the hibernating animals on the mountain, she stepped on the snow nest. Then half of her body fell into a small pit. In a moment, Young Jin reacted: she immediately reached out and grabbed the dry vines under the snowdrift. The cold snow slipped along the cuffs that were raised high. Still You Jin had no time to pay attention to these details and tried her best to climb up.

This pit was quite deep. Even after half of You Jin's body had fallen into the pit, she still can't reach the bottom. If she fell into the pit in such a cold weather, it will be difficult to climb up. It was certain that he would freeze to death here. So You Jin gritted her teeth and tried her best to climb out.

Although You Jin reacted in time, her movements were slow since it was winter. On top of that, You Jin was still small and wasn't strong enough. She struggled for a long time. Only when her body was soaked in snow, she climbed out of the pit.

Crawling out of the pit, exhausted You Jin sat paralyzed in the snow. She was panting heavily. It was clearly a cold winter in December, but she was sweating profusely. Due to the body's heat and the completely damp padded jacket, You Jin couldn't help shivering: "Achoo!"