138

Chapter 138 Chapter 138

In the solemn and respectful small Buddhist hall, the sound of wooden fish’s ‘dongdong’ slowly and rhythmically sounded. The curling white smoke in the Buddhist hall made people who walked into this small room immediately smell a thick and reassuring sandalwood scent.

The servant who came to deliver a letter was standing outside the door. Through the pane, he could only see the back of old Madam kneeling on the futon. Unconsciously, he relaxed his movements, for fear that any movement would disturb old Madam’s interest in worshiping Buddha.

The attendant standing behind old Madam was the first to spot the servant standing outside with his head poking in. She signaled to the little maid standing nearby before quietly walking out of the Buddhist hall. She led the servant to a distance away from the Buddhist hall to a corner twenty steps away. She lectured in a hushed voice: "You’re seeking death? You clearly know that this is the time for old Madam to worship the Buddha. Why aren't you doing your job in the front yard and coming to the backyard instead?"

"Nanny, even if this little one had the guts of a bear, I don't dare to disturb old Madam's peace. But a letter was handed in from the front, saying that it was for old Madam." The servant let out a ‘hehe’ before apologizing to Attendant Liu. One must know that Attendant Liu had been with old Madam for decades. Even their family’s official was brought up by Attendant Liu. Among Liu Manor’s servants, her status stood out. Even the misses and young masters in the manor would show some kindness to this attendant when they saw her. Let alone him, a small errand boy from the front yard?

Irked, Attendant Liu patted the kid on the head and said, "You kid, aren't you muddled? You know old Madam doesn't like to see visitors the most. Why do you send whatever cat or dog’s letter?" Their old Madam was the most honorable old Madam in Luohe Prefecture. If anyone of any status can see her, she might as well set up a booth outside to tell fortune!

The domestic servant wasn't mad from being patted. He only grinned and apologized: "Attendant, I’m certainly not being muddled. Where could I get the gut to disturb old Madam's peace. The person who handed the letter also handed this in. Saying, old Madam would understand at a glance." While talking, he took out a small red jade fan pendant from his pocket. The middle part of the fan pendant was hollowed out and a small "英" character was engraved on it.

As soon as Attendant Liu saw it, she snatched the red jade fan pendant over, held it in her hand, and looked at it carefully. Although her expression hadn't changed, she still had some doubts in her eyes. The word on this red jade fan pendant was part of old Madam’s name. It seemed to be the fan pendant that old Madam loved very much when she was still in her boudoir. She remembered old Madam gave it away later? Could it be that person came back?

Thinking of this, Attendant Liu's eyes changed. She took the letter from the servant who had been smiling apologetically: "Fine. You go now."

Holding the letter and the token, she turned around and entered the Buddhist hall.

"What's the matter?" Although old Madam Liu was reciting Buddha script with her eyes closed, Attendant Liu’s movement of exiting and returning didn’t escape her.

Seeing that old Madam was about to get up, Attendant Liu hurriedly stuffed the things in her hands to the little maid next to her and stepped forward to help her up. Then the two walked slowly to the couch by the window. Attendant Liu helped her to sit down and took the pagoda flower honey water brought by another little maid. Only then, she brought up the matter just now: "There is a letter from outside for you. This came with the letter.”

Seeing the red jade fan pendant that had remained unchanged even though it had been decades, old Madam's calm eyes flickered slightly. She asked, "She is back? It seems that that old thing didn't die in the capital and returned to Luohe Prefecture alive instead." Although she uttered old thing, the joy in old Madam Liu's eyes couldn't be hidden from Attendant Liu.