11

Chapter 11. One hundred liang

"One hundred taels! Where can our family get so much money?" Old Mrs. Chen exclaimed as if in an anxious wind swept over. Although the family had 30 acres of fertile land, the imperial court's taxation wasn't light. The people needed to raised were also many. On top of that, there were two grandsons studying in the county academy. The total amount of money that can be saved every year was only seven or eight liang. "Besides, wouldn't it be enough for the two of you to pay a share of money to buy the paper? Then, you two brothers to read it together?" Old Mrs. Chen's money tracking skill was top-notch. Every penny saved was a penny.

However, Yue Wen Tao hesitated for a while before muttering: "My classmate said that everyone must pay money..."

Yue Chang Shou, who was sitting on the side, also frowned and said, "One hundred taels isn't a small amount. Wen Tao, are you sure that the money can really be put into use? If you get deceived, that's a big deal."

Yue Da Fu began to smoke tobacco pipe. His heart was in a knot. One hundred taels wasn't a small sum. However, the future of his two grandsons was also the hope of the whole family. This was simply worrying.

Seeing that everyone didn't seem to object, Yue Wen Tao hurriedly aimed for the victory: "No, it won't. My classmate is the distant nephew of the magistrate family. Since he said that, there is an eighty percent possibility. Grandfather, if we can become a Tongsheng in beginning of spring, then we can go to the official body to take the exam in autumn. After passing the official exam, we will become a Xiucai. There are still two years before the next provincial exam. If we misses this opportunity next year, I am afraid that we will wait another three years..."

"That's right! Grandfather, that's five years!" Yue Wen Li, who was sitting beside him, received his brother's signal and hurriedly helped to persuade.

If they miss it, they have to wait another five years! Must point out, Yue Wen Tao's words hit the spot in Yue Da Fu's heart. One end was one hundred liang of silver and the other end was the whole family to endure for another five years. Yue Da Fu contemplated it for a while and then slapped his thigh hard: "It's settled. One hundred taels it is then!"

After hearing to Yue Da Fu's decision, Yue Wen Tao brothers widened their eyes with joy. While a gasp was frightened out of old Mrs. Chen: "Old man, have you gone crazy? How can there be so much money at home!" Years and years of working hard to save the silver and only accumulated more than a hundred liang of silver. Yue Da Fu was going to hollow out this family!

"You ignorant old woman, don't you understand priority? This money is used in the right way. As long as two children get admitted and gained a rank, they will have as much money as they want in the future, right?" Yue Da Fu glared at old Mrs. Chen who was reluctant to pay the money, "Hurry up and get the money."

The family took out money to buy papers and clear the way for their sons. Yue Chang Fu was naturally elated and hurriedly persuaded old Mrs. Chen: "Yes, Mother. Think how the two children will get admitted to ranks and become officials in the future. You are the old Madam. Won't people line up to give you money at that time?"

On the other hand, Yue Chang Lu and Yue Chang Shou brothers felt a little uncomfortable. They haven't split off yet and everything was categorized as public fund. But if they were to separate the family, they can get twenty to thirty yuan each, right? Yue Chang Shou was fine with it. He opened a shop in the county town. He can earn twenty to thirty liang a year. However, Yue Chang Lu, who only got one or two silver coin after a month of hard effort, how could he be pleased with one hundred yuans being taken out?

After coaxing his mother, Yue Chang Fu noticed his second younger brother's glum face. He turned his head to persuade him: "Second Younger Brother, although the money is a little much, but think how your second branch has no son yet. If your nephews get admitted, they will also be your support in the future. After all, we are one family, right?" He smiled very sincerely as he drew him a big cake: "When your two nephews become officials in the future, you will be the Second Master. You can dump that wife who can’t give birth to a son. When the time comes and have power in hand, how many golden-flowered girls can be up to you to chose? Would you still be afraid that you won’t be able to birth to a son?”