105

Chapter 105 Dingyuan's Relatives

From the beginning, the situation in the north was just guerrillas going south to occasionally grab food. After another month of continuous heavy snowfall in the north, a large-scale southward plundering war finally broke out in the middle of December. Luohe prefecture was about half a month away from the northern border. In addition, Luohe prefecture was a provincial fortress. There were troops stationed at the pass. So the war will not affect this side for a while.

The nomads were born brave and good at fighting. On top of that, they were forced to a dead end. They went all out when fighting. Since the beginning of winter, Dafeng's army had been short of food and wages. With this comparison, they were inferior. The border was broken through. The nomads stormed straight down and reached Jiaxing Pass, which was only a day's journey from north of Dingyuan County, in less than ten days.

Numerous days ago

Everyone in Yue Family was now like ants in a hot pot. The whole family was jumping up and down to pack their bags and flee to the south. Although the houses and fields of Yue Family were in Cuifeng Village, these external things weren’t so important when compared to life.

In the past two years, Yue Wen Tao and Yue Wen Wei had both got married. Yue Chang Shou enjoyed the blessings of being equal to others like his second brother. Mrs. Han's whole body had aged rapidly in the past two years. She was unwilling to be close with Yue Chang Shou. Since his father-in-law passed away, Yue Chang Shou had no shackles anymore and came back drunk every day.

Later, he absurdly redeemed a prostitute and let her step into the house. She became his favorite person. The two sons had been beaten by Yue Chang Shou countless times because of this incident. The enviable family had long since fallen apart.

After Yue Wen Tao got admitted as Tongsheng, he married the only daughter of a merchant family. Because the new wife’s bountiful dowry money and his father-in-law’s support, Yue Family’s first branch gradually became the most beloved among the three brothers. This time it was Yue Chang Fu and his family who were trying to escape to the south.

Yue Family currently had more than 20 members in total. How can they just up and go like that? Everyone in the first branch was smart. How can they let old Second and old Third’s families scrounge their own money? The first room closed the door to discuss it, but didn't know the second and third branch had their own discussion. That night, the second and third branches took advantage of the first branch and the old couple’s inattentiveness and quietly drove away the family's ox cart. Yue Chang Shou sold the shop in Dingyuan a long time ago, took all the money in the family, and only brought the prostitute and two sons. He had left Mrs. Han in Cuifeng Village.

The two sons of third branch have already been heartbroken by their father's actions in the past two years. If their mother didn’t use her life as a threat, they would rather die with their mother in Dingyuan than follow their father. Quietly following the ox cart of Yue Chang Shou and others from Yue's house to the entrance of the village, Mrs. Han watched the ox cart going south in the dark night with red eyes. She can die. She also wanted Yue Chang Shou to die. But her two sons were still alive. For the sake of the children, she can only watch Yue Chang Shou and others leave.

It wasn't until the next morning when Yue Family’s first branch got up that they found that the family's ox cart was gone and only Mrs. Han was standing at the door, staring blankly at the slowly falling snowflakes.

"Old Second and old Third, you two beasts!" Yue Da Fu was so infuriated that he fell backward. Although he had the intention of abandoning his two sons, he didn't expect his two sons to have the same thoughts as him. Sitting on the kang, he cursed a few times: "Two white-eyed wolves! Unfilial sons!"