61

Chapter 61 Digging a Canal

At noon on the second day, not long after Su Family finished their lunch, there was a knock on the door outside. You Jin took the handkerchief to dry her hands before answering it: "Coming!"

She was thinking at this time, it should be Broker Chen.

Sure enough, the person standing outside the door was Broker Chen who came from Houjiawan.

Seeing You Jin, he cupped his hands with a smile and greeted, "Miss Su, it's sorted."

The owner of Houjiawan's sixteen mu of fertile land was waiting for money. Although You Jin had lowered the price, it was still within his acceptance range. So he reluctantly nodded and agreed: "Just one thing, the crops planted in the field belong to his family. The land will not belong to you until after the autumn harvest. What do you think?"

You Jin wasn’t the kind of person who counted to the last grain. Since the family sold the land before the grain was harvested, it must be because there was an accident at home and they need money urgently, right? She nodded in agreement.

Since both the buyer and the seller agree, the deal was completed. You Jin went back to her room and took out a one hundred silver liang note and ten silver liang for Broker Chen: "Also, I must trouble Uncle Chen to help me run this trip to exchange the red deed back."

Broker Chen didn't expect Su Family to have bank notes when their place was in a tattered state. So he was stunned for a moment. Hearing what You Jin said, he hurriedly took the money: "Miss Su, you are being polite. This is what we brokers should do, no?"

Broker Chen was very efficient in handling affairs. He delivered the red deed in the afternoon of the second day as well as refunding a few silver liang: "Miss Su, the land money was one hundred and forty liang. The red deed exchange tax is one liang and six coins. I will be charged three silver coins for the broker fee. So the total was one hundred and five liang and nine coins.”

Dafeng’s custom of buying and selling broker’s fee was paid by both buyers and sellers. Like this sixteen mu of land, Broker Chen Sixteen received half a liang from both parties.

You Jin smiled and accepted the change and the red deed handed over by Broker Chen. Seeing the three big characters ‘Su You Jin’ written straight and upright on the red deed, she narrowed her eyes in delight: "Thank you, Uncle Chen."

Broker Chen smiled and said: "If Miss Su needs anything in the future, just come to me. I will naturally do my best to find a good land with a suitable price for Miss Su."

You Jin nodded with a smile and sent Broker Chen away.

She put the red deed on the table in the main room and showed it to everyone in Su Family. Everyone stared at it with wide eyes, as if a flower would pop out of it.

Mrs. Su swallowed her saliva, and asked in disbelief: "You bought all these sixteen mu of land?" When Broker Chen came to the house, Mrs. Su did not show up to avoid suspicion. She had vaguely known that her daughter was going to buy it. Who would have thought that she would buy sixteen mu of land in one go!

You Jin jollily nodded before putting away the land deed, "Even if our family have no money in the future, we at least have more than ten mu of land in our hands, right? We won't be short of food, right?"

Little Seventh in her arms was no longer withered and had yellow hair. She smilingly stated: "I have to accumulate some dowries for my younger sisters!"

Hearing what You Jin said, the younger sisters who didn't understand worldly affairs all coaxed into cheers. While Mrs. Su was surprised that Eldest Daughter was paving the way for the future of the children! She recalled when she entered Yue Family without dowry and how they lived more than ten years with tight hands. She wholeheartedly agreed with daughter's approach: "Do we still have money in our hands? Should we buy more land?"