143

Chapter 143 Adding to dowry

In December, He Xiao Ning got married.

He Hao was Lizheng of Wuliqiao. He Xuan Hai was also a somewhat dignified Xiucai. Since He Family had gradually made a fortune in recent years, their only daughter’s He Xiao Ning’s wedding must be big.

The day when the dowry was displayed, it was a rare sunny day. The light snow that had fallen for several days had stopped.

From Su Family, You Jin and You Bao attended. You Bao didn’t have many good friends in Wuliqiao Village. He Xiao Ning was one of them. Today she came to add dowry with Eldest Sister.

"Look at the demeanor of these two girls from Su Family. People would believe it if one says they are girls from rich families in the city. They don't look like children from the countryside!" In the courtyard of He Family, a few village women sat together and gossiped while picking melon seeds: "Su Family’s daughters are getting older now. Before, they always said that You Jin was pretty. Look at their family’s fourth. She looks no worse than the older ones!"

They looked at You Bao, who was holding a one-foot-square wooden box in her hand. She was cheerfully talking with the bride who was about to get married. Although He Xiao Ning was already prettier than most of the girls in the village, it was the difference of sky and earth when standing in front of Su Family’s fourth!

You Bao didn't know that others were judging her. She had been quiet since young. He Xiao Ning was quite close to her. Now that He Xiao Ning was getting married, it went without saying that she had to prepare a dowry: "Xiao Ning, look at this."

She handed the box to He Xiao Ning.

Grinning, He Xiao Ning accepted the box and opened it. Her curving eyes flashed with surprise: "This is too expensive!"

This was a whole box of rouge and gouache. These rouge powders were of high quality and were worth a lot of money!

"It's too expensive. I can't accept it." Although He Xiao Ning liked it, she reluctantly closed the lid and pushed it back to You Bao.

How could You Bao possibly take it back? With slight force, she firmly halted He Xiao Ning's hand: "Xiao Ning, we are good friends. This bit of things is just a little thought from me. If you don't accept it, you aren't considering me as a friend."

Seeing that she was serious, He Xiao Ning had no choice but to accept it. However, it can be seen from the words that she liked the gift that You Bao gave her very much.

As for You Jin, she was quite generous- two bolts of fine cotton material with quilted silk and a set of sterling silver headdress. The rest of the women who came to add dowry today exclaimed and became jealous: "This Su Family is too generous!"

One must know that just one sterling silver hairpin was worth a good few silver liang. One set of headdresses was at least a dozen liang!

When Zhao Chun Hua saw that she had added on expensive dowries, she was both happy and shy: "How could you spend so much money, child?"

Although she was a little embarrassed, the thought that her daughter had an addition of such dowry and would be able to straighten her back when she came to her maternal home in the future made her glad that Su Family was garnering face for their family like this.

"Xiao Ning is well-behaved. She’s just like my own younger sister. For her life to be good, I naturally can't take it lightly." You Jin sat beside Zhao Chun Hua with a smile. The two merrily chatting looked quite close. In the eyes of others, they secretly felt envious and jealous at the same time at the thought of the close relationship between Su Family and He Family.