154

Chapter 154 New Year and Rewards

On the early morning of the New Year's Eve, the snow that had fallen for several days finally stopped. A faint red sun hung on the eastern mountain. From time to time, there were a few firecrackers and children's laughter. Quite lively.

"Old Ancestor, Father, Mother, child is back." In the main room of the compound courtyard where Xiao Family lived temporarily, Xiao Lin Yu, who had already changed into a clean and warm brocade robe, lifted up his long gown, and knelt straight in front of the elders of Xiao Family. He knocked his head heavily three times.

Mrs. Yu had already turned into a tearful mess. Even Xiao Hai Ru, who didn't say anything when he came back from the disaster, had red eyes. Sitting next to Mrs. Song, the husband and wife were both happy and crying.

"Good child, it’s snowing outside. It’s hard on you to rush all the way back." Xiao Hai Ru brothers chose to keep the news of Eldest Son's death a secret from Mrs. Song when they returned. Mrs. Song who was in the dark was overjoyed. It couldn’t compare to how excited Mrs. Yu when her son escaped from death: "Is everything in northern Xinjiang handled properly?"

Back then, Xiao Hai Ru and the others used the excuse that Xiao Lin Yu had important matters to deal with in northern Xinjiang. That's why Mrs. Song asked this question. She took Eldest Grandson's hand and patted it: "You lost weight. You lost weight."

Although a man does not cry lightly, he had been separated from his family for so many years. Xiao Lin Yu, who was alone outside, finally realized that even though his father was indifferent to him and his mother had a lot of demands on him, they were all his blood relatives. It cannot be erased.

Xiao Lin Yu, whose eyes were slightly red, stood beside Mrs. Song, and responded: "Grandson was away and can't be filial to old Ancestor. I made old Ancestor worry. Grandson is really unfilial!"

Second Master Xiao and Mrs. Zhao sat at the side. Seeing their eldest nephew come back, they were happy on the one hand, but also missed her son a little bit. The husband and wife looked at each other. Mrs. Zhao murmured: "It would be great if Lin Wen is here now."

"As long as the children are well, there will always be a day when we will meet again." Second Master Xiao patted his wife's hand and said a few words of comfort.

***

Xiao Lin Yu's return made Xiao Family's New Year more reunited. The three generations talked for a long time in the main room before Xiao Hai Ru and Second Master Xiao called Xiao Lin Yu to a small study in the compound to discuss matters.

"What happened back then?" Xiao Hai Ru stared straight at his son. He had watched his son being carried out with his own eyes. Although it was a good thing that his son was doing well now, what happened back then?

Xiao Lin Yu was sitting at the bottom. He stood up and bowed to the two elders before explaining to the two elders the ins and outs of the matter one by one.

After listening to Eldest Son's words, Xiao Hai Ru sat on the chair blankly. Slightly in disbelief, he uttered: "You mean, the current emperor saved you?"

"That's exactly the case. It was his Majesty's doing when Father and Second Uncle went into exile. At that time, his Majesty promised to protect Xiao Family and restore our family's innocence. I worked for his Majesty to raise funds for his Majesty to fill the treasury." Xiao Lin Yu nodded his head. He sat back to his original seat: "The former emperor was foolish, corrupt officials and cruel officials were rampant in the court, and the national treasury was empty. His Majesty is ambitious and far-sighted, so I should be loyal."