73

Chapter 73. Decline

You Jin was caught off guard by this unprecedented news. She showed a helpless smile: "Mom, I'm only twelve. Isn’t it too early for you to worry about it?" One must know that she was twenty-eight and a single dog in her previous life. Was this life going to make up for being single for too long in her previous life?

"You will have your thirteenth birthday at the beginning of the year. How could it be too early?" Mrs. Su rolled her eyes, "That He Family’s eldest son will be sixteen this year. You aren’t in a rush but many people are!" Mrs. Su seemed to regard He Xuan Hai as a wealthy son-in-law.

It was only then that You Jin realized that things were going in a strange direction. She quickly stopped Mrs. Su’s words: "Mother, I don't want to marry."

Seeing Mrs. Su’s petrified expression, she quickly rephrased: "At least not in these few years. If I marry someone, then I will be someone else’s wife. I have seven younger sisters and Kang-er. What will happen to you guys?”

"It's not like you’re getting married now. We can set the matter now and get married when you reach of-age!" Mrs. Su argued in a low voice. She didn't think about the family’s situation only getting better until her daughter mentioned it. In the end, the children were still young. If they were without You Jin, it would be difficult in the future: "We can’t drag you down because of us, right?"

You Jin stared straight at Mrs. Su and seriously stated: "Mother, listen to me. I was the one who led our family from Cuifeng Village to Wuliqiao. It’s my responsibility to bring up my younger sisters. Only when my younger sisters have a good home, can I feel at ease."

Hearing what she said, Mrs. Su sighed deeply: "You are still young, so naturally you don't know the importance of marrying a good husband. Mother has experienced more. So mother can't let you do things wilfully!"

"Now our family had earned such a large family business in less than a year. In two or three years, we can multiply it a few times. Wouldn't it be better to discuss marriage by then than now?" You Jin pointed out another fact. Their family was much better than He Family now. In two or three years, they will definitely make a fortune: "That’s why raise head when marrying out a daughter, lower head when marrying in a daughter-in-law. It can’t be that Mother wants me to marry down?"

It wasn’t that You Jin looked down on He Family, but the difficulty of the imperial examination was really great: "There were too many people who are Xiucai in their forties and fifties. So what if he, He Xuan Hai, is still a Tongsheng until he is forty or fifty years old? Tongsheng, am I to bear it out with him for the rest of my life?"

Hearing that You Jin didn’t hesitate to curse the other party failing the exam in order to reject this marriage, Mrs. Su was disgruntledly amused. Then she gave her an eye roll: "You are the only one who is so reasonable!"

Still, she accepted what her daughter said: "But since you don't want to, I won't force you. It's just a pity. Xuan Hai is such a good boy!"

In fact, Mrs. Su can’t be blamed for being like this. After all, He Xuan Hai was indeed the best son-in-law candidate she had come into contact with so far in her life. It was a pity that she just missed it for nothing.

Mrs. Zhao didn’t expect Su Family to reject this marriage. After hearing Mrs. Su tactful words, the smile on Mrs. Zhao's face faded a bit. Still, on the surface, she responded: "Indeed. This child is still young. It’s not too late to check around again in a few years.”

Both parties absent-mindedly talked for a while before Mrs. Zhao found a reason to go home. After seeing off Mrs. Zhao, Mrs. Su worriedly asked You Jin: "It seems a grudge has been formed?"