86

Chapter 86 Resentment

The gifts sent by Xiao Family consisted of a large box of gold and silver jewelry. Although these weren’t as valuable as the white jade hairpin hidden by the You Jin, they were all fashionable in the capital. Right now, only Mrs. Su in Su Family can put on a headdress. Under You Jin's persuasion, Mrs. Su chose a few pieces of gold and silver that seemed suitable for her age. The remaining silver necklaces and bracelets were thoughtfully prepared by Xiao Lin Yu eight copies. Everyone in Su Family had a share.

Mrs. Su looked at the hides with excellent fur and couldn't help feeling a little bit guilty: "Young Gentleman Xiao only had a few meals with us. Us accepting such expensive gifts, isn’t it taking too much advantage?" Mrs. Su reckoned that these new year gifts would add up to at least a thousand liang silver. Just accepting it like this, didn't they seem a bit too greedy for money?

You Jin patted Mrs. Su's hand and said: "Mother, I can't do anything. I asked Xiao Family’s guards to pull it back to the capital, but they said that they only listen to their master. What can I do? I can only owe this debt for now. Once I have a chance in the future, I will pay it back slowly."

You Jin daren’t tell Mrs. Su that she still had ten thousand liang silver in her hand and a white jade hairpin that was worth a lot at first glance. If Mrs. Su finds out, she will worry again.

"If we had known this earlier, we should have prepared some gifts to send to Xiao Family." After accepting such expensive gifts, Mrs. Su kept feeling a little uneasy.

"Don't worry, Mother, I have something prepared for the guards of Xiao Family to take back. Although it's not worth much, it's a thought." You Jin asked Xiao guards to take a jar of sweet-scented osmanthus tea back before they left. Recalling that day, it can be regarded as Xiao Lin Yu liking it. And Su Family had nothing worthy to show for now. So it can be like this.

Back to the other side, the capital. Although Xiao Lin Yu and brothers secretly prepared three big carts to send to Luohe Prefecture, they couldn't hide it from the elders of Xiao Family.

"Yu-er, ever since you came back from Luohe Prefecture, you always seem to have something on your mind. Why don't you tell Mother?" Mrs.. Yu heard from her confidant attendant that her son had arranged for the chief guard around him to deliver three carts of expensive gifts to a family surnamed Su in Luohe Prefecture. Since her son came back from Luohe Prefecture, his marriage had been prioritized. However, Mrs. Yu was inexplicably worried.

Xiao Lin Yu shook his head slightly: "Son is fine. Mother had been in poor health since the beginning of winter. It is still not suitable to work hard." He helped Mrs. Yu to sit on the top seat before sitting below Mrs. Yu. The servant beside him quickly served hot tea.

Seeing her son's gloomy brows, Mrs. Yu couldn't help but sighed again: "Mothers know their children the best. Mother can tell you have something on your mind at a glance. You encounter a matter that didn’t go smoothly in Luohe Prefecture?" Actually, what Mrs. Yu wanteds to ask was if he met some vixen who took away her son's soul. The attendant beside her had already inquired about Su Family’s situation. Mrs. Yu had a preconception that the other party was eyeing on their wealth. Naturally, she won't have a good impression of Su Family.

"It's just a business matter. Son can handle it well. It's better for Mother to take care of your body." In fact, Xiao Lin Yu himself didn't know what was fretful about. Since returning to the capital, his wedding with Bai Family’s girl had been put on the agenda. The talented girl from the noble literate family was about to become the next mistress of Xiao Family. Naturally, everyone in Xiao Family was in a merry mood. However, he had some inexplicable resistance to this marriage he can’t refuse.