55

Chapter 55. Relieving heat

The cicadas on the branches were giving it all on making noises. The scorching sun was scorching the earth. In a blink of an eye, it had entered May. After the Duanyang Festival, each day was getting hotter than the previous. It had been nearly two months since Su Family moved to Wuliqiao.

In two months, Su Family’s initial sallow and skeleton figure had gained weight. The children's nutrition had caught up. In addition, You Jin led the children on exercising every day. So they have sprouted a lot. Now the children’s sleeves were a bit shorter. Although they were thinner than their peers, but it was a big improvement.

The few times Su Family caught fished with medicine had earned more than a dozen silver liang. In addition, Mrs. Su's health was getting better these days. She can cook up some cheap food for them to bring to the city to sell. Every day, vegetables could be sold. Fish selling was occasional.

Maybe Wuliqiao's environment nourished people. After taking the medicine for more than a month, Mrs. Su’s complexion had improved a lot. Unlike before when a little chore could make her pant. Even sickly You Bao and You Chou were free from illness and pain for two months. The family's life here was quite nourishing.

Holding a bowl of cold sour plum soup, the sisters finished it in a few gulps. Even the youngest, You Chou drank half a bowl and sighed contentedly: "Oh! It's so delicious!"

Mrs. Su’s sour plum soup was a secret recipe. Although the raw materials weren’t as good as those of the imperial court, the plums and licorice were all collected from the mountain, dried, and stored by You Jin. The sweet-scented osmanthus bought were old ones stored from last year. The sour plum soup made from simple ingredients was the best.

In the courtyard of Su Family, the few children drank to their heart's content. In Luohe Prefecture, sour plum soup was selling hot.

Ever since the weather got hotter, You Jin sisters started to sell sour plum soup. Because she had to bring a lot of things into the city almost every day, she had discussed it with the old driver who couriered customers. He’ll go to Su’s house at a fixed time every day to pick them up and transport the goods. It cost seven cents a trip.

Ever since she was openly questioned by that uncle who drove the cart, You Jin changed to another older man with an ox cart. This old man didn’t speak much. Every day, he just brought them over. Quite a happy cooperation.

Now the three sisters brought two large barrels of sour plum soup to Luohe Prefecture to sell every day. Since they weren't selling vegetables or meat, You Jin didn't sell it in the West Market. She only rented a mobile stall at the junction of the East and West Markets for five yuan a day to sell sour plum soup.

Mrs. Su's sour plum soup tasted wonderful. It was boiled at night every day and then hanged in the well overnight. It was nicely chilled and a perfect combination of sweet and sour. Naturally, it garnered a lot of repeat customers.

"You Jin, quickly give me a bowl of sour plum soup! This damn weather is blazing hot!"

A round-faced woman in her early thirties came over smiling with a basket full of meat and vegetables and asked for a bowl of sour plum soup: "I drank so many sour plum soup and yours is the best!"

With a grin, You Jin poured the sour plum soup into a big rough porcelain bowl. The bowl was filled to the max: "Sister-in-law Liu, please drink slowly."

Then she accepted the two pennies handed over by the woman. Su Family's sour plum soup sold for two wen per bowl. Although it wasn’t expensive, it wasn’t considered cheap either. Most of the people who come to drink it were the people in the city. Ordinary peasants were reluctant to spend two wen for a bowl of sour plum soup.