22

Chapter 22. Going to the market (part 2)

The surrounding area's villagers liked to buy a needle, thread, or other small bits and bobs during the market day. So the market day in Liutun Town can be said to be very lively: people selling rouge, playing tricks, and even begging along the street. There were more beggars than ever before.

The first two times that You Jin came to town, she was in a hurry. Didn't get to experience the ancient festival full of life and the smell of fireworks. Today, she was just as indifferent.

With a heavy basket on the back, she knocked on the back door of the kitchen of Umami Room. After a while, the guy who was responsible for guarding the back door came to open the door. Initially, he thought it the daily supply farmer. Unexpectedly, it was a half-grown lad. His face was covered with some unknown stuff like soot from the bottom of the pot or something. He couldn't even see his face. Then he asked, "Did you knock on the door?"

Normally, inns and restaurants would have some people sell things to them from time to time. The young man was used to it. He glanced at the big bamboo basket behind You Jin, which was covered tightly: "What are you carrying?"

You Jin pasted a smile on her face: "Brother, what I'm carrying are the pheasants and hares that my father caught on the mountain. They are still alive and kicking. Want to take a look?"

As soon as he heard that it was pheasants and hares, the young man was interested: "Open it and let me see before we discuss."

Now it was the late autumn season, there were more guests coming to Umami Room to eat game than in summer. There weren't many hunters near Liutun Town. And the mountain goods they can receive every day were limited.

When You Jin heard his response, there was a glimmer of hope. She quickly put down the heavy back basket and then lifted the sackcloth covering it in front of the young man. Seven or eight wild chickens cooing and the huddled gray hares all crowded into the basket entered sight.

With a 'hee", the young man let out a grin: "You'e quite capable, boy! With so many pheasants and hares, you can carry them with your bean-sized body to the town!"

He squatted down and energetically examined these mountain goods. Finding that everything was good-quality, he stood up and said to You Jin: "Wait here. I'll ask the steward in charge of purchasing in our kitchen if we want the mountain goods."

You Jin gratefully thanked him: "I have trouble Brother."

You Jin originally thought it wasn't that simple. Surprisingly, it went smoothly. In fact, it was because the pheasants and hares sent by most hunters were often shot and killed. When they reached Umami Room, the body of the pheasants was hard. It was rare for them to be alive and kicking like the ones sent by You Jin. So it was so smooth.

Not even a quarter of an hour after the guy entered, he came out with a slightly fat middle-aged man: "Steward, it is this kid selling the mountain goods."

The steward had a pair of gleaming eyes, which spun around You Jin a few times. Twisting his goatee beard a few times, he asked, "Where did you get all these mountain goods from, boy? What's the price?"

You Jin imitated the ancients and gave a heartily half-bow: "Responding to the steward's words, my family is a hunter on Cuifeng Mountain. These mountain goods are all caught by my father. Because my old mother is sick, my father sent me to the town to sell the mountain goods. I must exchange some money back for my mother to see a doctor."

Hearing what she said, the steward didn't ask any further questions. He motioned her to lift the sackcloth on the top of the basket and checked it carefully. In the end, he asked for eight pheasants and four hares.