14

📕WuxiaWorldEU

Chapter 14. Autumn Harvest

Because Yue Family spent a lot of money, they gritted their teeth and spent some money to hire two short-term laborers to help as there were 30 mu of grain waiting to be harvested at home.

Maybe Heaven knew that the farmers were going to have autumn harvest, it gave face and provided enough sunshine. In the cool autumn morning, the white light climbed over the eastern hillside. Every household in Cuifeng Village had already brought their families with farming equipment in hand to the fields outside the village.

There were few idle months for the farming family. The children of the farm family matured early. Four or five-year-old children were walking a little slowly behind the adults. They carried basket to the field to pick up the ears of rice. A small child can pick up half a jin of rice ears in a day. For people who were already short of food, it was more or less an income.

In the early years, because the family was in good condition, Yue Da Fu didn't care about this bit of food. What's more, using some grain to earn a good reputation was profitable. So he didn't stop the children in the village from going to his own fields to pick them up.

Old Mrs. Chen had always felt heartaches about these bits grain. But in the past, because of Yue Da Fu's adhering to his word personality, she could only grit her teeth and endure it. But now that almost all of their family's asset had been hollowed out, old Mrs. Chen wished to break a copper coin into eight pieces to use. How could she be willing to let other pick their own field's grain?

Therefore, she prepared baskets for sisters You Zhu, You Ling, and You Luo early in the morning that day. Her sinister eyes scanned the three of them and threateningly scared them: "If you don't fill up the baskets today, forget about eating tonight!"

You Jin and You Yin were part of the main force that do the cutting in the fields. Old Mrs. Chen sternly glared at them before twisting her butt around to fill a gourd full of water for Yue Da Fu.

You Bao was almost drowned in a bucket by old Mrs. Chen's when she was born. Although she was rescued later, her body was still damaged. On the other hand, You Zhu was stronger and didn't sustain any root illness. Therefore, You Jin begged Old Mrs. Chen for You Bao to stay at home to take care of Little Ninth. You Bao also needed to assist Mrs. Chen on making lunch. While the three sisters who were assigned to picking up rice ears had to carry baskets and hurriedly followed behind You Jin to work in the field.

At this time, the sun had yet to fully come out. The autumn wind carried a hint of chill, which didn't feel uncomfortable when it blew on people. On the contrary, it blew away the sleepiness from getting up early. You Jin became much more energetic and brought her three younger sisters into the field. She warned again: "Don't snatch with other children, understand? You Zhu, you are the elder sister, you must take good care of You Ling and You Luo. You can't let your sisters go to the river, understand?"

You Zhu nodded seriously: "Third Elder Sister, I will take good care of Little Seventh and Little Eighth."

Although You Zhu was only seven years this year, she had been picking up rice ear with a basket since she was five years old. While, this year was Little Seventh and Little Eighth's first time. You Jin can't help but worry about it.

After You Jin watched You Ling and You Luo obediently follow You Zhu in looking for ears of rice in the already cut field, she temporarily felt relieved. She grabbed the sickle and walked to You Yin's side, where half a row of rice were already cut. The two sisters stood together and bent down with pursed lips. They cut the rice without saying a word.

The sun climbed over the hillside. It didn't take long to go from a small sun that glowed softly like a duck's egg to a scorching hot sun. Only an hour after the sun came out, the people who were harvesting rice in the fields were already sweating like rain.