72

Chapter 72. New Year's greetings

On the morning of the next day, the normally bustling courtyard of Su Family at an early time only started to liven up when the sky was bright. Although Su Family had no roots in Luohe Prefecture , no relatives to visit, and no ancestral hall to worship, Dafeng always had the custom of waking up early on the first day of the Lunar New Year. The meaning was that those who get up early can work hard, make a fortune in the new year, and get rich.

The children of Su Family also knew the custom of getting up early on the first day of the new year. But when they were in Cuifeng Village, the first day of the new year was the time when the sisters get beaten every year. All of them received a severe beating. Although no one will come to beat them this year, they all got up early and changed into new clothes. Then they lined up to kowtow to Mrs. Su to ask for new year's money.

"Mother, wish you a prosperous new year and good health." You Jin and You Yin led the younger sisters in two rows, properly knelt down, and kowtowed three times to Mrs. Su. Even little Eighth and Kang-er were held by □□ and Bai Zhi and kowtowed.

Sitting at the top, Mrs. Su looked at the children who were wearing new clothes. All the daughters had changed from sallow and thin appearance to fair and lovely. Her eyes couldn't help but turn slightly red: "Oh! Get up. The ground is cold!"

Sniffing, she suppressed the tears that were about to overflow. She handed out the New Year's money that she had prepared a long time ago to the daughters who raised their hands for the New Year's money: "Be obedient and sensible. Eat more this year and grow bigger."

After Su Family’s girls finished paying New Year greetings to Su Family, Yu Lan led Xin Yi, □□, and others to kneel down in two rows: "New Year greetings to Madam and all the misses."

"Teacher, what are you doing?" You Jin hurried forward to help Yu Lan up. However, Yu Lan slightly pushed her away: "Miss, this bow is what Yu Lan should have done a long time ago."

If it wasn't for Su Family, whether she could be full and warm would be a different matter. She was an official slave, so she can only be a lowly person her whole life. But since she entered the gate of Su Family, everyone in Su Family respected her as a teacher. It was like the grace of second life. Due to this, she should have done this a long time ago.

Seeing her insistence, You Jin could only take a few steps back. After receiving a half-bow from Yu Lan, she hurriedly helped her up. Mrs. Su distributed the new year money prepared in advance to all the girls one by one: "Save the money. A girl should have some assets."

"Yes, Madam." □□ and the others merrily replied. On New Year's Eve, You Jin had distributed the bonuses that everyone had worked hard for over the last several months. □□ and the others who made snacks in the kitchen got two liang. In the front line, Xin Yi and the others who greeted the guests got less. But there was one liang. Plus the two months' salaries they had received before, the little maids had some money in their hands. They were all overjoyed.

Su Family didn't need to worship their ancestors. After kowtowing to Mrs. Su to pay New Year's greetings, there were children from the village who came to pay New Year's greetings and ask for snacks: "New Year's greetings to Auntie Su!"

"Oh! Get up. The ground is cold!" Mrs. Su jollily stood up and came over with a bamboo basket filled with melon seeds and snacks: "Quickly grab some back to eat!"

Su Family’s snacks being delicious have already been spread among the children of Wuliqiao. Seeing Mrs. Su being so generous, the little girls felt a little embarrassed at first. You Bao hurriedly whispered: "It's okay. We still have it at home. Take it!"