115

Chapter 115. Old matters

After General Liu Wei's troops returned to the imperial court, the people in the capital respected General Liu Wei more and more. There was even a vague saying that ‘if there was no General Liu Wei, Dafeng would have already been destroyed’. The face of His Majesty became more and more ugly day by day.

"After my troop return to the court and the army seal is handed back to his Majesty, those literate officials, who only opened their mouths to attack this and that at the court meeting at the beginning, know to step forward and speak this and that. Back then when the Northern Ethnic nearly attacked Luohe Prefecture, why did everyone only f*cking know how to be a coward? It can’t be that they want me to show my ambition by death?" Liu Wei smashed the empty wine bottle on the table. The bitterness and sadness in his eyes seemed to be spill out like a vat of spring water being disturbed: "I, Liu Wei, have been a soldier all my life. Naturally, I naturally looked up to the sky and bowed down to the ground. If it wasn't for the common people in the world, who would covet such a pretentious name?"

What happened to General Han back then was vivid in his mind. Wasn't he the same as General Han back then? Although the merit was high, why would they ever consider shaking the Lord’s position? "How pathetic! How laughable! How deplorable!"

"Master, you were drunk." Liu Wei's wife brought a bowl of hangover soup and looked at him with tears in her eyes. The husband and wife have been married for nearly thirty years. How could she not know the bitterness in his heart? But no matter how bitter it was, so what? At most, it was crying it out for nothing and dropped it.

Liu Wei accepted the hangover soup and down it. He took his old wife's hand and patted it tenderly: "It doesn't matter if I die, it’s just you and the children who are implicated for nothing!"

Although Liu Wei was a martial artist, he wasn't a fool. His current situation was to be roasted on top of a raging fire. He had been a soldier all his life and devoted himself to serving the country. If it ends in tragedy, it will really stir laughter everywhere.

A trace of determination flashed in Liu Wei's bloodshot eyes. He looked at his old wife, and said, "I hand in my resignation to his Majesty at the court meeting tomorrow. Then I will take you and the children back to Hongzhou. I will farm and you weave. We’ll live the rest of our lives steadily."

Now that his Majesty was getting older and there was no crown prince, the situation gradually became five sons fighting over the throne. Liu Wei was aware that his accidental injury in Northern Xinjiang looked accidental, but it was actually man-made. If he hadn't been vigilant and dodged in advance, the cold arrow fired from behind wouldn’t have injured his arm, but instead passed through his left chest!

"Okay, let's go back to Hongzhou together!" Liu Wei's wife wiped the sweat from his forehead with a handkerchief. Her eyes were red. It wasn’t that she didn't know that her husband had the ambition to serve the country, otherwise he wouldn't take the initiative to request from the emperor to be in command this time. But the current emperor made one’s heart chilled! When the war in northern Xinjiang came to an end, her husband was called back to the court in a hurry. Although he was named a heroic general, his Majesty sent someone to retrieve the army seal before he even took off his armor. The more she thought about it, the more she felt distressed for her husband. So she called a servant to help her support Husband back to bed with her to rest.

***

In the court hall, Liu Wei was dressed in commoner clothes. He held the first-ranked general’s court uniform bestowed by His Majesty and kneeled down to thank sky-high grace and sincerely asked to resign: "I dare not forget the kindness of His Majesty to this subject. The helpless minister is already old and suffers from a lot of ailments. I beg his Majesty for mercy and allow this subject to be dismissed and returned to the field! "