68

Chapter 68 Sujiaxiang

On the eighth day of November, in front of Su Family’s shop. You Jin lit the firecrackers hanging in front of the door and pulled off the red cloth that covered the signboard. ‘Sujiaxiang’ officially opened for business.

Inside the shop, Wu Ya-er, who was standing in front of the counter, was a little nervous. Because her talent for making snacks wasn’t as good as that of Er Ya and Chen Xiao He, she was assigned by You Jin to serve the customers. However, Wu Ya-er grew up in the village. Where could she have such experience? Naturally, she felt uneasy.

Seeing her nervousness, You Yin, who was standing beside her, comforted her in a whispered voice: "There's nothing to be afraid of. Just give the customers what they want to buy and collect the money!"

She was completely like a shopkeeper. The flinching and timid expression between the brows and eyes when she first came to Luohe Prefecture had long disappeared. It was replaced by a graceful demeanor and a steady mentality.

The smell of sulfur after the firecrackers were set off mixed with the scent of snack wafted through the bustling streets. Coupled with the clapping and shouting of ‘buy two get one free’ from You Jin, customers were actually entering the door not long after opening.

A well-dressed young woman walked into the shop with small steps and asked, "What snacks do you have?"

Seeing a customer coming to the door, You Yin raised a smiling face and brought up the snacks that You Jin had prepared in advance and cut into small pieces: "Madam, please try it. We currently have eight kinds of snacks in our store. The first three day of opening, there’s a buy two get one free!"

In the mentality of must eat the freebie, the young woman picked up the bamboo stick on the plate and stuck a small piece of snack into her mouth. Then her eyes lit up slightly. She tasted all the other seven flavors. Only then, she nodded in satisfaction: "Then wrap me a sweet-scented osmanthus red bean cake and four-color cake!"

Although Wu Ya-er standing at the counter couldn't open her mouth, her hands and feet were very agile. She packed the two snacks that the woman asked for in a short while. You Yin smilingly explained: "Madam, our store just opened and doing ‘buy two get one free’. We’re giving a small portion of snack. Which one do you want?"

"Then chrysanthemum crisps!" The woman paid the money and left Sujiaxiang with the snack. Inside, in You Yin’s hand was the snack shop's first income. She was overjoyed.

Sujiaxiang was positioned as a mid-to-low-end snack line. The most expensive four-color slice cake and chrysanthemum crisp were only 1 coin a portion. The cheap and easy-to-get osmanthus mung bean cakes were only 20 wen a piece. Compared to those big snack shops that cost a few coins or even a few silver liang for a snack, Sujiaxiang’s price can be said to be very common folk-friendly.

With its good location, You Jin's loud shouting, and the scent of snack that wafts far away with the autumn wind, many customers were attracted to Sujiaxiang on its first day of opening. When it was time to close, Mrs. Su, You Zhu and the trio in the back kitchen were all too exhausted to raise their hands. But they were all overjoyed. The more tired they were, the better the business was!

You Jin and Wu Ya-er installed the door panels one by one and tidied up the front of the shop a little bit. Then everyone came out from the back door, got into the mule cart that You Jin had hired early in the morning, and hurried out of the city to Wuliqiao before the city gate closed.

Yu Lan, who had been waiting at home for a whole day with Su Family’s few children, saw Mrs. Su, You Jin, and the others had finally returned. She rushed to greet them: "How was it?"