46

Chapter 46. Little chicks and bamboo shoots

Prices in Luohe Prefecture were more expensive than those in Liutun Town. An egg costs two wen, while a hatched chick cost eight wen. After two laps in the West Market, You Jin sisters found a chick seller. After some bargaining, they finally bought 14 chicks at a price of one hundred wen. On an average, a little over seven wens each.

The chicks were placed in the empty wooden barrel. The sisters detoured to the pork stall to buy three jins of suet and the butcher sold two pig trotters cheaply to them. One carried the bucket of chicks while the other held pork wrapped in lotus leaves. They merrily walked out of the South City Gate and returned to Wuliqiao.

Wuliqiao was only five miles away from Luohe Prefecture. That was why it was named Wuliqiao. Although the two sisters didn't walk fast, it took them around half an hour to reach home on the official road.

At home, the littles doll, who were full of anticipation, caught sight of Eldest Sister and Second Elder Sister in the distance. The older ones ran over with the younger ones in tow. Seeing You Jin's hand carrying a dozen chicks in the bucket, all of them cheered: "It's little chicks!"

You Jin smiled and stopped to rest for a while. Then a group of six-seven people walked home. They chatted as they went, "Eldest Sister, can I raise chicks?"

"I want to raise them too!" The sisters quarreled with joy.

"We all raise them together. Once we get home, let's go to the mountain behind to chop some bamboo back to make a chicken coop. Later, You Zhu, you take the lead. You, You Bao, You Ling, and You Luo are responsible for finding something for the chicks to eat every day." You Jin jollily assigned the work to the few younger sisters. Hearing this, the few all stood up and seriously expressed that they would definitely complete the task.

On the other hand, little You Chou was a little displeased: "Eldest Sister, and me!?"

Before You Jin could speak, You Zhu laughed: "Little Seventh, aren't you afraid of the little chicks pecking you?"

Little Seventh was pecked by Yue Family's big rooster before. So she still had some shadows of fear toward the big rooster. Sure enough, when she heard that she would be pecked, little Seventh lowered her head with slight embarrassment. She wanted to help, but she was afraid of being pecked.

You Jin smiled and stroked little Seventh's little head and amusedly responded, "Little Seventh can help Third Elder Sister do the work together. Just don't get too close to the little chicks."

Hearing what Eldest Sister said, little Seventh perked up and nodded.

In the main room, Mrs. Su listened to the daughters happily talk about how to raise chickens in the yard outside. Her heart was filled with joy. This kind of life! When compared with the former life at Yue's house, it was a difference of earth and hell! Thank God, they can escape from those days!

***

After Su Family moved in, all the items were purchased immediately. The iron products such as hoes, sickles, and hatchets were also newly purchased. When they bought them, nearly two silver liang was spent. A distressing amount. Seeing the bamboo, it became very convenient now. You Jin feels that the money was well worth it.

There was an entire bamboo forest on the mountain behind Su's house. You Jin brought You Yin and You Zhu to the bamboo mountain. Hands moved and knife fell. Soon three adult bamboos of 17 or 8 meters high were chopped down. You Jin had deliberately come with a bucket and a hoe on her back. After cutting the bamboo, she wandered around for a while and dug up four white and plump bamboo shoots. Only then, the three sisters head down the mountain and returned home with their bountiful harvest.