121

Chapter 121 Night Visit to the Imperial Prison (part 2)

The imperial prison at night was completely silent, except for the occasional ‘squeak’ of rats and the faint sounds of a few jailers drinking and gambling from the place where there was a fire at the other end. These sounds reverberated and were especially terrifying.

The petty official also heard the sound of drinking and fun from the other end. His lip curled. He didn't get to have a few mouthfuls of the good wine and food that was bought with his money. Fearing that the good stewed beef would be eaten by the group of grandsons, he quickened his pace and led Mrs. Yu to turn another corner before arriving at the gate of the prison where the three members of Xiao Family were imprisoned.

He took out the oil and sweat covered key and opened one of the doors: "Go in quickly. I will take you out when the time comes."

After opening the door, he let Mrs. Yu in before locking the door again. He said: "I'll be next door. Give me a signal when you want to come out later."

After that, he turned around and walked to the nearby table where the prison guards ate and drank and sat down. He didn't dare to take it lightly as those inside committed capital crimes. If they escape, he won't be let off.

The three members of Xiao Family were imprisoned in separate cells, but were next to each other. Xiao Hai Ru, who hadn't yet fallen asleep, heard the sound of the door opening and immediately sat up. Seeing a woman dressed in black cloak come in, his eyes slightly closed as he stared straight at the familiar figure.

Taking off the cloak that covered most of her face, the husband and wife who had been separated for nearly three months met again in this dimly lit, stinking and permeating imperial prison.

"You..." Xiao Hai Ru's lips trembled slightly. He dazedly stared at her emaciated wife. For a moment, the husband and wife were speechless, quietly staring at each other quietly like two stones. Neither of them dared to take this step to walk toward each other.

After unknown amount of time, tearful Mrs. Yu broke the silence between the two. The normally decorous her plunged into Xiao Hai Ru's arms. Not minding him being unbathed and unchanged for a few months, she tightly hugged him as if she was unwilling to let go: "Master, you have suffered!"

Xiao Hai Ru sighed. This was the first time that the couple, who have been married for more than 20 years and have been respectful to each other, showed their inner emotions so enthusiastically. Hugging the person in his arms, Xiao Hai Ru expressed his concern: "Imperial Prison isn't a place you should come. How did you come in without stirring some noise?"

The husband and wife stood and hugged each other. After a while, Mrs. Yu came back to her senses. The lotus-like face was slightly flushed with embarrassment. The husband and wife recovered from the excitement.

"It’s Su Family’s little lass who used connections to allow this access, but it’s only for an hour."

Yu took out two packs of food from the bag that she hid in her cloak as well as the thick fluff, indigo, fine cotton cloak she specially had made. Opening it, she placed it in front of Xiao Hai Ru: "Master, you must have eaten badly in here these days. Although we can't save you, we can only let you eat better and not get chilled by the cold at night. This way we can be at ease if you are well."

"I'm the one who dragged you down!" Xiao Hai Ru held the densely stitched cloak his wife made in a hurry. He was both moved and ashamed, "Now I'm here, this is the worst it can get. As long as you and Mother take good care of yourself outside, I can rest in peace even if I pass away."

Although Mrs. Yu felt as if she was being pricked by a needle when she heard him say this, one can’t go against fate. What can she do?

The couple talked for another quarter of an hour before Mrs. Yu came out of Xiao Hai Ru's cell. Through the heavy cell door, she saw Eldest Son had lost a lot of weight. Tears kept falling like it didn't cost money: " Lin Yu!"