67

Chapter 67 Harvest

In the golden autumn season, the autumn air was refreshing.

From the south gate of Luohe Prefecture to the south, both sides of the Wuliqiao River’s had rice fields. The golden ears of rice have already lowered their heads. The cool autumn wind blew by. There were rustling sounds. That was the music of a good harvest. It was the autumn harvest season that farmers look forward to most in a year.

Su Family only planted two or so mu of sunflower seeds this year. It had matured.

The dewdrops were still hanging on the dogtail grass on both sides of the path. The bright Big Dipper in the sky was still pointing the way for lost travelers. At this moment, the sky was still dark blue. The east was only showing a faint white belly, but the farmers in Wuliqiao had all gone to the fields.

The family’s seventeen chickens had grown up and could lay eggs. The crowing chickens were still sleeping in the coop. Smoke was already rising from the kitchen. The aroma of round-grained rice congee permeated the small yard and aroused the sleeping people.

You Jin walked into the kitchen after washing up. It was Wu Ya-er's turn to cook today. Seeing her get up, Wu Ya-er grinned: "You Jin, it's early. You have to wait a bit for breakfast!" Since the family had three more hardworking teen hands, You Jin handed over the three meals a day that were originally Mrs. Su’s responsibility to the three capable girls. Each of them took turns to cook for five days.

The three girls were all able to endure hardships. Although they have work to do after coming to Su Family, they can eat to content every meal at Su’s house. On top of that, there was meat every day. The work was much easier and faster than when they were at home. So the three girls were delighted.

In the early autumn morning, the well water was cool. After washing her face with cold water, You Jin smiled and nodded. She went into the kitchen and quickly put the bowls and chopsticks on the table. Wu Ya-er served congee with fried vegetables on the table.

Those who had to get up early to work had all woken up. The five/six little girls all had a good appetite. After a while, they finished half a pot of soft and delicious round-grained rice congee. After the drowsiness of getting up early and the coolness of early autumn dispelled, they held a sickle, carried baskets on their backs, and went to the nearby sunflower field together.

"This disc floret is bigger than my face!" Er Ya grinningly cut off a sunflower disc floret and compared it to her face. Only then, she chucklingly put it into the basket.

Wu Ya-er also merrily cut off a sunflower. There was quite some weight in her hand. She replied, "Yes! This disc floret is really big!"

You Jin gathered all the manure into this wasteland and fertilized the land. It went without saying, the sunflowers grew well. It can be said to be a bumper harvest.

As the little girls merrily messed around, their work wasn’t delayed. Once the sun rose, the dew on the sunflowers dissipated and more than half of the two or so mu of sunflower field had been harvested.

The sunflower stalks that had been cut down were scattered on the ground. Just waiting to be dried and can be burned into plant ash to fertilize the land. This was already the fifth time that You Jin and the others had carried baskets full of sunflowers back home.

The sun gradually rose and the coolness of early autumn turned into an autumn heat. There were only so many sunflowers for Su Family to harvest. Naturally, they weren’t in a hurry. Looking at the less than half sunflowers left, she picked up the thick cotton handkerchief on her shoulders and wiped the sweat from her forehead.: "That’s it for today. We’ll come back tomorrow morning to cut the rest."