110

Chapter 110 Chaos (part 2)

Back to the capital’s side. No matter whether it was the current emperor or the hundreds of officials’ household, no one had lived a good year.

In previous years, it was only after the fifteenth day that the court meeting opened up. This year, due to the war in the north, the Dafeng’s garrison fell again and again. His Majesty aged a lot overnight. Those important military ministers were all so worried that their heads turned white too. The Ministry of War said that The Ministry of Revenue wouldn’t give money. The Ministry of Revenue cried of poverty. They cried and made trouble in the Esteem's study room every day. It made his Majesty’s head big and lose his temper. Several unlucky little eunuchs and little maids faced the receiving end of it.

"Recently, Northern Xinjiang continuously lost. His Majesty is upset. You guys are careless in serving and become a bother in the eyes of his Majesty. If you don't get punished, who will?" The chief eunuch of Qingyang Palace, Eunuch Lin squinted at the two kneeling on the ground. The shivering maid who dared not make a sound: "Go to the House of Internal Affairs to receive your punishment."

Now it was the first month. His Majesty didn’t want to see blood in the first month. That’s why these ant-like slaves can survive. If it was normal times, they would have died a long time ago.

Hearing that they were only receiving the punishment, the two maids’ hearts that had already reached their throats fell back to their original place. They kowtowed several times: "Thank you, Eunuch, thank you, Eunuch!"

Eunuch Lin didn't bother to look at them. He waved off the guards to drag the two of them down, hurriedly got up and went back to his Majesty's side to personally serve him. The war in northern Xinjiang was tense. His Majesty’s face was getting uglier day by day. Not to mention others, even he, the old man who was always serving by his side since he was a prince, was tense when serving him. Not to mention the others.

"Each and every one of them is crying poverty to meI!" Eunuch Lin had just entered the gate of Qingyang Palace, when he was hit by the booklets that were thrown toward him by his Majesty in a fit of anger.

Eunuch Lin ignored the pain on his body, knelt down, picked up the scattered booklets one by one, and put them away. He brought a cup of hot tea to his Majesty, "Calm down, your Majesty. No matter how big and important the matter is, it’s not as important as the Son of Heaven, right?”

"How can I not be angry? When fighting for merit on most days, each and every one of them can run faster than rabbits. Now that Northern Xinjiang had been lost, those generals either say that they are old and can't lead the soldiers or that they are injured and can't go far! The Ministry of Revenue is even more extreme. Before I even opened my mouth, he came to cry to me that he was poor!"

His Majesty was over fifty years old this year. And he had a bad temper. Now he was so exasperated that his eyes turned black and he almost fainted.

"Your Majesty! Your Majesty, don't get angry!" Eunuch Lin hurried forward to support wobbling Majesty.

There was no peace in the palace. Everything was complicated outside.

In Xiao's manor in the capital, Eldest Master Xiao and Second Master Xiao were having a secret conversation in the study.

"Nowadays the war in northern Xinjiang is getting tense. The Ministry of Revenue is crying penniless. I think his Majesty’s intention is to get it from the hundred families of officials." Second Master Xiao looked quite similar to Eldest Master Xiao, but had a more distinctive air of scholarness than Eldest Master Xiao. The two brothers talked face to face, and the faces that were 70% similar all had heavy expressions.