71

Chapter 71. New Year’s Eve

"It's been one month and twenty-two days since our snack shop opened. We've earned a total of five hundred and three liang!" In the dead of night, Mrs. Su, You Yin, You Zhu, You Bao, and You Jin were sitting in Su Family’s main room. You Jin whispered to the four of them the results of the last few days’ accounting: "Among them, forty-seven liang were from selling fragrant melon seeds. The remaining four hundred and fifty-six liang were earned by our snack shop!"

"So much!" Not only the children, but even Mrs. Su was dumbfounded: "You Jin, did you calculate correctly? Our family really made so much money?"

Mrs. Su couldn’t imagine this. It turned out that her little skill can make so much money.

The four children also looked shocked: "Five hundred liang! So much silver!"

You Yin and You Zhu were working alongside You Jin every day, so they naturally knew that they were making money. But they didn’t expect to earn this much money. Fast-thinking You Zhu thought: "Eldest Sister, how about we open another shop next year?"

Seeing that everyone was so shocked, You Jin grinned: "Although we earned more than five hundred liang, we spent almost two hundred liang to buy the shop and the labor. After cutting this off, there’s not much left. If we rush to open another shop again, money and manpower are problems. If we go too far, we will have problems."

"I've already figured it out. Our house will have to be rebuilt when spring comes. Not only do we have so many people in the house, we sisters need a room for each of us, don't we?"

You Jin didn’t plan to keep this sum. Rebuilding the house and buying more land all cost money.

When they heard that they could have their own room, the sisters were very excited. They didn't even have their own room when they grew up! So they chattered and began to suggest ideas to You Jin: "Eldest Sister, then we need a big kitchen!"

"Yes, we need a yard. And there are peach blossoms on the mountain behind. We can plant some peach blossoms!"

"Okay, okay. The more you talk, the happier you are. Go to bed early. Tomorrow is New Year's Eve." Mrs. Su smilingly calmed her daughters who were about to jump up.

You Jin nodded: "We'll start choosing a site to build a house after the spring thawing after the New Year."

After discussing with Mrs. Su mother and daughter for a while, she came out of the main room and went back to the east wing to sleep.

***

In the early morning of New Year's Eve, continuous firecrackers sounded from nowhere. After stretching her waist, You Jin climbed up from the warm kang. She saw figures swaying outside through the bright paper pasted on the window. It turned out to be Su Family’s little girls playing in the yard.

"Ah! Third Elder Sister, don't throw the firecrackers at me!" You Bao, who was being chased by You Zhu with the firecrackers, kept screaming while dodging. The younger ones happily followed behind the two of them. The sound of laughter chimed in the yard. The snow-white house seemed to be full of vitality and very lively.

You Zhu, who was sweating slightly from running, lit a firecracker and quickly threw it beside You Bao. The firecracker wasn’t very powerful. Still, it made You Bao scream. Seeing a savior come out, she hurried over: "Eldest Sister, Third Elder Sister is bullying me!"

"Su You Bao, aren’t you ashamed? You can't run, so you ask Eldest Sister for help!" You Zhu made a cheeky face at You Bao. Her cheeks were rosy. Truly full of energy.

You Jin reassuringly patted You Bao's shoulder and grinned: "Alright, you’re all sweating from running. Go in quickly and get a handkerchief to dry off. If you get sick during the New Year, you can't take medicine. Then you’ll have to suffer."