60

Chapter 60. Buying medicine & purchasing property

Early the next morning, You Jin sisters went to the city to sell their own sour plum soup. When You Yin went back to get the second round of sour plum soup, she brought out Mrs. Su and the pair of twins along, leaving You Bao at home to watch the few younger sister.

This was Mrs. Su’s first time entering the city since they moved to Wuliqiao. Sitting on the ox cart and looking at the scenery along the road, it felt like a world away.

Uncle Niu was already very familiar with Su Family. So he directly pulled them to the place where You Jin set up a stall, which saved them from having to bring a few children. Seeing Mrs. Su coming, You Jin rushed to meet her. She stretched out her hand to take the baby in You Yin's arms and then led Mrs. Su to sit nearby in a cooler spot: "Mother, please rest for a while. Wait for us to sell out before going to the clinic."

Mrs. Su nodded slightly: "It's fine. You guys work away first. Don't worry about me. Quickly go serve the guests!"

It turned out that another customer came to buy sour plum soup. Seeing the swift hands and nimble feet and the eloquent appearance of her children, Mrs. Su couldn't help feeling that Eldest Daughter was indeed better at raising children than her, their own mother. Under her teaching, the daughters were much more sensible and smarter than ordinary children of the same age.

Su Family's sour plum soup was now well-known in Luohe Prefecture. And the price was not expensive. Ordinary people can afford it. Many of them drink it themselves and get a takeaway bowl. So You Jin sisters made a rough bamboo bowl from bamboo joints from the mountain. There was no extra cost for takeaway. So more people bought it. The two barrels of sour plum soup were all sold out in less than half an hour.

The mobile stall rented by You Jin sisters was outside a grocery store. The owner of the grocery store was named Li Er Shun. He would ask for some sour plum soup from time to time and You Jin didn’t charge him either. The two of them had a happy cooperation.

Seeing her come in with a bowl of sour plum soup, Li Er Shun jollily spoke, "Su Family’s lass, you are being too polite!"

He didn’t refuse the sour plum soup in her hand.

"Shopkeeper Li, it's thanks to your care that we can set up a stall at your entrance. It’s only right." You Jin put the sour plum soup on the counter. Then the simple wooden table fro her stall was brought in and put it in the corner. She smiled and bidded goodbye to him: "Shopkeeper Li, then we'll be leaving first. See you tomorrow."

"Ah!" Li Er Shun smiled and took a sip of the large bowl full of sour plum soup. Then he sighed in content. This damn weather was getting hotter and hotter.

***

After selling the sour plum soup, the empty barrel was left with Uncle Niu. You Jin had already arranged a pick up with Uncle Niu at the west city gate later. Without the ox cart, they can't go back.

In the medical clinic, an old doctor with a gray beard groaned and finished taking Mrs. Su's pulse. Then he spoke: "There is a serious deficiency inside. The body is empty from the loss. Although there’s no serious illness now, there will be in a few years if you don't take care of it sooner. It will also affect longevity."

Mrs. Su was shocked when she heard this. If she died, what would happen to her nine children? You Jin, who was holding Kang-er beside her, also frowned. She solemnly said: "Doctor, what do she need to eat? Tell me. As long as it can nourish my mother healthily, we can spend as much as possible."

Seeing that the whole family was wearing coarse clothes that were washed white, the old doctor sighed. If the woman's illness occurred in a wealthy family, it wouldn’t be considered a serious illness. But the family in front of him was obviously a poor family from the countryside. How can they afford it? "One portion of medicine costs one silver. I'll prescribe a few portions for you first. Go back and see it goes."