End of Year Two

A month later, when the tension of the chamber of secrets had died down and you'd told your friends about it (missing out the part that Malfoy was with you), they finally made their peace with the fact that you did sudden and absurd things and you almost got yourself killed because you decided to go alone. Of course, you were never alone. Malfoy was there with you, and he had essentially saved you. But then again, it was no selfless act - had you been killed, he would have been next - he was only protecting himself. However, today was the day that the Slytherin quidditch results were to be revealed and who got what position. The funniest part about this was that both you and Malfoy tried out for the position of the seeker, and thus it was going to be either you or him. Running to the wall with the results with Hermione, the two of you came to a quick halt when you saw Malfoy standing in front of it with his friends with a frustrated expression.

The second he noticed you, he scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"I'm going to throw you off your broomstick when I get the chance."

Taking a look at the paper, you noticed that your name had been placed by Seeker, meaning you'd successfully gotten the position. Finding Malfoy's name, you discovered for him to be a Keeper.

"Damn, keeper," you said, smirking, "couldn't be me."

"Oh, shut up. You won't be any good anyway and they'll kick you off sooner or later."

"If I'm no good, but I got the part, imagine how bad you must be."

He stepped closer with furrowed brows, ultimately angry. "We'll see if I'm so bad when I break your arm for the third time."

"Third time?" Hermione asked, and you and Malfoy quickly shot your eyes over at her. The panic between you and Malfoy became real, but he quickly spoke and sorted the situation.

"Who asked you to get involved, you mud-blood?"

Hermione furrowed her brows too. You were not quite sure what mud-blood meant, but you remembered the term used by Tom Marvolo Riddle back in the chamber of secrets. Hermione seemed to know what it meant, and you just assumed it was a hideous insult.

"Watch your back, Potter." Malfoy said, barging past you and hitting your shoulder, with his minions giggling behind.

"That boy has no self-control," you huffed. "Wish they'd kick him out of Hogwarts already."

"But they won't because of his daddy."

And so, during your first quidditch training, Malfoy continuously shot you glares. And this continued for a long time. Every training, you were glared at, stared at, scowled at, and then it came to the game. The game was indeed very intense, but you could see all your friends in the crowds. Hermione, Harry and Ron continuously cheered for you, though it was difficult for them to do so at the same time due to the fact that they didn't particularly want Slytherins to win. You were playing against Ravenclaw, and were chasing the snitch with the highest levels of determination. During various moments, you and the Ravenclaw seeker bashed into each other, but both of you played fair and did not push anyone off. Malfoy would have tried that definitely by now. In conclusion, however, you managed to catch it, and thus concluded your victory as a Slytherin. And perhaps thanks to this, you made your first Slytherin acquaintances after a year as all, but Malfoy, came up and hugged you at the end of the game and congratulated you. It was odd, certainly, considering how low on the Slytherin hierarchy you were considered, and Malfoy proved extremely bitter, flashing you the dirtiest glances.

"Potter, you want to grab a drink with us at Hogsmeade?" One of the fifth year boys called out over to you as you got inside, putting your brooms away after the match.

"Uh, I'm a second year, I can't, sorry." You said.

"Oh, right, well maybe next year," he said with a smile. Turning to Malfoy, you noticed the extremity of his glare, and you could not help but smirk at the situation before heading off.

And perhaps, that concluded the story of your second year at Hogwarts. For, the rest of the year was spent much better than the first. You played some more football, played some more quidditch, argued with Malfoy some more, but essentially, you belonged here now. You even made peace with your role within the house of Slytherin, despite knowing the evil behind it. Not to mention, you'd accomplished some valorous things that year - and, the most unusual - you and Malfoy saved each other's lives. Still, only you two, Dumbledore and Ginny knew of it, who you'd told to stay silent about Malfoy's presence. Even you as a person, you felt yourself become powerful over the year, stronger, more relevant, more confident. The only thing that proceeded to sit at the back of your mind was the return of Lord Voldemort, for time was ticking, and God knows when he will return. It was a scary thought, truly, to know that any minute he could be back and you would be forced to drop everything and fight. Were you even ready for such a thing? To fight someone so powerful. No, you weren't, and you were aware of that - you had to fight back, you had to train, but how? With the school year being over, you had nowhere to train your magic abilities. Towards the end of the school year, you began to train by yourself at the back of the school in the courtyard, where you were surrounded by ultimate darkness and the only light was the one that appeared every time you cast a spell. No one but Dumbledore knew of this, for he'd seen you through his window multiple times, and sometimes stood and watched you for fun, admiring how far you were getting. As for Snape, you did not speak to him a lot this year - he picked on you in lessons, but he no longer gave you detentions, he merely took away house points now and scolded you, or threatened you with additional work, but it was evident that he avoided being alone with you at all costs. A thirteen year old you were - what was he so afraid of? Of course, your confrontation, that's what.

Either way, the end of the second year was a saddening memory, but it gave you more to look forward to for the next year. As for Malfoy, you were certain he would remain the gobby little spoilt kid that he always was - the slick back hair had become his signature look, despite the horrid style of it. Pansy too - you despised her perhaps more than Malfoy due to her nature in which she valued male validation above all.

"I'm going to miss it." Ron said, looking out the window on the train.

"I am overly excited to be back with the Dursleys." Harry said, sighing as he rested his head on the wall of the compartment.

"Don't mention it. It makes me feel sick. Maybe I'll take on a job. They hire thirteen year olds now, don't they?"

"Maybe for like newspapers delivery."

"That sucks."

"It's better than staying with the Dursleys."

"You're right. Maybe I'll sign myself up to a club or something. Maybe I'll hand myself over to an orphanage," you said in a joking manner, though you were not quite joking.