Potions and Football

The next day, during your potions lesson, Snape had instructed everyone to pair up, only he decided on the pairs. This was not ideal to you, for half the class were Slytherins, therefore there was a 50% chance that you were going to have a horrid lesson. That proved exceptionally true when you heard your name be called out by Malfoy's. The two of you sighed and groaned, frustrated with Snape's choice, but you knew there was no use in protesting. When it came to standing at your desks, you and Malfoy stood away from each other and practically did your own thing. After cutting up certain ingredients, you proceeded to throw them into the cauldron, after which Malfoy furrowed his brows and looked inside the cauldron.

"What did you just put in?"

"Hemlock essence, obviously."

"Are you dumb? I've just put that in!" He groaned, looking into the cauldron.

"Well you could've said!"

"Well you should've been looking!"

Pushing your way through, you tried to get a glimpse of the potion inside the cauldron too, whilst his head remained in the way.

"Can you move? I want to see."

"Cor, Potter, you've ruined it!" Malfoy called out, pulling a face of disgust at the cauldron. "Now it stinks of shit."

"It's your breath."

"Oh, do it yourself!" He groaned, throwing a tantrum and walking away from your desk, standing beside the wall and leaning on it with crossed arms. He had a frustrated face as he looked away and watched other people do their potions.

"What's the issue?" Snape asked, walking over. The moment he glanced down at the cauldron, he sighed and looked at you and Malfoy. "Well, it seems like the two of you are incapable of making the simplest potion."

"We? She's the one who ruined it!" Malfoy yelled out.

"Is this true, Potter?" Snape asked, turning to you.

"Well, yes. I wasn't paying attention."

"Very well. Let's hope you pay attention tonight after school at six in my office."

You rolled your eyes at this. He would not have tolerated this from any other student, but thus turned to Malfoy. "Malfoy, please continue your work."

"Not with her, no."

"Then you too can pay attention tonight after school at six in my office." And with this, Snape flashed the two of you the deadest, lightest, least visible and most monotone smirk you'd ever seen, before walking back up to the front of the class and continuing what he was doing. Malfoy turned to you, whilst you turned to him, and he simply scoffed, rolled his eyes, and turned away.

"You're pathetic." You added.

"What was that? Say it louder."

"You're p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c."

"We'll see how pathetic I am later."

"Right."

And the rest of the potions lesson was spent in misery as the two of you refused to continue your work, and you sat on opposite ends of the classroom, bickering like five year olds. Snape did not even bother with getting you to do the work, for it was of no use.

After school at three, you were out in the courtyard and proceeded to play a game of football with Cedric, using the school windows as goals, since they lacked glass and therefore the ball could easily fly through. The only time it became an issue was when it hit someone. In general, you were an exceptional player, and many students watched the two of you play as they set around or passed, for it was an unusual sport to those of wizard families. This afternoon, however, what caught your attention was the tree at the side of the courtyard in which sat Malfoy, laughing down with his friends who looked up at him. Why he was in a tree, you did not know, and you did not question it. It became vastly more interesting, however, when you noticed him direct something at a passing Harry, who also lost his temper and, as you watched, noticed Harry go up to Malfoy and clearly say something aggressive, judging by the look of his face. You could not hear what they were saying, but you stopped playing for a second to watch the scene, and you saw Malfoy jump down from the tree and mutter an 'oooh' to his friends as he mocked Harry.