Surprise, Surprise

"If that happens, what are we to do, Severus?"

Snape clicked his tongue, sighing. "There is little we can do."

"I don't understand."

"Narcissa," Snape sighed, approaching her, "the girl takes the Slytherin traits to a maximum. I know her ... she ... she is like my daughter."

"Your daughter?"

Snape cleared his throat, sighing. "The point is ... if she wants something, she will get it. Had Ms Black not killed Miss Potter's godfather, perhaps she'd be less inclined to get revenge. She will not rest. Not to mention Mr Malfoy ... she will not stand for his suffering. The more she sees him in agony with what has happened, the more her anger will build up against everyone who has hurt him."

"She ... she would do that, for my boy?"

"And more," Snape sighed, "but she will not rest. She is ... crazy."

Narcissa stared at the wooden floor, processing Snape's words. Her heart felt warmed when she knew that Draco had fallen in love with a girl who would go to such extent to keep him safe. Undeniably, Narcissa knew barely anything of you other than the bad things she'd heard of you, and little good that Draco had said. Nevertheless, amongst all the curses she'd heard with your name from all the Death Eaters, she began to associate your very name with virtue and her heart warmed itself at the thought of you. She'd scarcely seen you, but could picture you alongside her boy, and knew that you would keep him safe.

"I would like to speak with her," Narcissa finally said.

"Speak ... with her?"

"Yes."

"Why ... is that?"

"Severus," Narcissa inhaled deeply, "you must not tell anyone what I am about to say." She paused briefly, thinking over her own feelings and thoughts. "I trust her. I trust that she is right for Draco. I do not wish to see him hurting anymore."

Cool, at least I'm in the good books with my future husband's mum.

Snape, though he remained silent, felt his heart flutter. An eternal peace overcame him and, though you couldn't see it through the curtain, he lightly smiled to himself with a somewhat crooked smile, not quite knowing how to express the light-heartedness he was currently feeling after hearing Narcissa's words. Thus, he cleared his throat and turned away from her so that she would not see the growing smile upon his lips. After his independent smiling session, he cleared his throat again and forced his usual fixed, stern expression as he turned back to Narcissa.

"Mr Malfoy would not be happy to hear that. I believe you are aware of the fight that occurred between him and Miss Potter?"

"Yes ... I am. He cannot know. But, Severus, how can I speak to her?"

Snape thought for a moment longer. As silence ensued, you felt the dust on the back of the curtains curl up into your nose, inspiring the need to sneeze. Of course - this was bound to happen! You clenched your jaw tightly, squeezed your eyes and, as slowly as you could, lifted your hand across the curtain as you pinched your nose, holding back the sneeze. Now, you believed that you didn't produce much movement, but Severus Snape had a sharp eye. As he stood, facing the window, he froze in his space as he stared at the curtain in which he'd just caught movement. He too clenched his jaw, clearing his throat.

"I believe it may be easier than you think."

"Mother," Draco's voice called out in the background.

Immediately, at the sound of his voice, you felt your heart drop. Oh! The voice which you so adored! The voice which you longed for, to hear against yourself, buried in your neck, his soft, gentle voice. It pained you to hear it and not be able to respond; it pained you to know that, as much as you adored him, he was not yours.