One Evening

It was during a casual evening in which you entered the Slytherin common room and caught sight of Draco and his friendship group sitting at the table in the far end. Upon the opening of the door, all their eyes turned to you - some smiled at you (not difficult to guess who), whereas some scowled and glared (even easier to guess). You only paid attention to Draco, nonetheless, but you did not reciprocate any expressions; you kept your stoic expression as you crossed the common room and headed into your dorm, whereupon you grabbed one of your books and then headed back out into the common room. Back out, you took a seat upon the sofa and lifted your feet up onto it, before opening the book and proceeding to read. You were too distracted to tell, but all eyes were on you, and your mere existence fuelled the anger of many people at that table. Especially when they saw how Draco's attention was no longer on them, but now completely on you. Due to this, Blaise was wholly entertained as he would snicker under his nose.

"So, Draco," Ana began, "how about Hogsmeade tomorrow? Just me and you?"

Draco turned to her, dumbfounded. His expression sold his emotions correctly as he furrowed his brows in a disgusted confusion at the audacity.

"What the fuck makes you think I'd go?"

Though you continued to pretend to not hear as your eyes remained plastered on the book before yourself, you could not resist the light smile that played upon your lips. The low and, almost threatening, disgusted tone of Draco's was enough to make you squirm as you listened to his love for you play out in different words than 'I love you' in itself.

"Well ... we used to go before, and it was fun. I miss hanging out with you."

"That's a shame."

"Come on - it'll be fun."

"Can you stop touching me?"

Silence followed on for some moments longer.

"I think your girlfriend's a psycho," Ana finally added.

"And I like that," Draco finally scoffed, tired of the talk as he rose from his seat.

"Where are you going?"

"Away from you. You're more obsessed with her than me."

Thus, Draco left, leaving Blaise to frown at the fact that Draco left him alone with this group. Blaise entertained himself with Flint, Forse, Crabbe and Goyle, as Draco dropped down onto the sofa, budging himself up to be right by you. When you looked up at him from your book, he kept his smirk as he patted his lap. A smile rising, you shook your head and shifted yourself closer, placing yourself sideways on Draco's lap which gave him the easiness of reading the book with you.

"What's this one, then?"

"Fahrenheit 451."

"Sounds exciting," he smiled, resting his head upon your shoulder as he scanned the page. "They're burning books? Why are you reading this?"

"The book makes you question your morals."

"How so?"

"Are your morals truly right, or have they been forced onto you by society? It's a social norm to burn books, and it feels satisfying to do so - but he only achieves true liberation when he frees himself from these social norms and accepts that he wants to read these books, rather than burn them."

"Now it makes sense why you'd read it," Draco laughed lightly, wrapping his arms tightly around you and kissing your shoulder. "Also, I had packed your two books. I'll give them back to you sometime soon."

"No rush," you smiled, kissing his lips gently.

Ana's eyes had never burned more vigorously at other people; the way the fury exploded within her as she saw the easiness of the two of you. She believed that, from day one, it was her who was destined to end up with Draco Malfoy; you were but an obstacle in her love story with him. Staring at him, she realised that there was one thing left for her to do, and that was to fight for the man that the gods, she believed, had fated her with. Sooner or later, she trusted, Draco Malfoy would return to her as he realised the insanity of [F/n] Potter and how she was not lovable - not a good fit for someone like him. Her, on the other hand, she believed herself to be the other half of this boy.