Great Hall Darkness

That evening, you found yourself in the Gryffindor Tower. In the girls' dorm room, to be exact, as you sat on Hermione's bed, preparing yourself to announce the news to her - that you, her best friend, had been lying to her for the past two years. She looked so happy, indeed, and it tore your heart to tell her this news.

"Well? What did you want to tell me?"

"Well," you cleared your throat. "Please don't get too mad at me."

"Mad?"

"I did something bad."

"Oh no, what is it?"

"Well, I suppose, the biggest thing is..." you sighed, "remember the Chamber of Secrets?"

"Yes? Or at least I think I do," she said slowly, doubting her version of the story.

"Yeah, it's all basically a massive lie. That day, when I told you I'm not going anywhere, I ended up going back to the Slytherin common room, and, actually, I did end up going down there."

"I know that."

"But I didn't go alone."

She paused. "Then?"

"Malfoy and I went together."

She pursed her lips, still listening.

"I saved his life, and he saved mine. Ginny, Malfoy and I all swore we would not tell anyone, as we didn't want to be associated with each other. We still don't want anyone to know, but I thought you deserved to know."

"[F/n]," Hermione frowned, "I asked you," she paused again, recollecting her thoughts. "I asked you so many times what went on down there, and you lied to me every single time?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't want anyone to know."

"Anyone? I'm anyone? I thought we were supposed to be best friends."

"That's not what I meant," you quickly said.

She opened her mouth to say something, but rather looked down sadly and closed it again.

"Hermione, please."

"I'd like to be alone for a little now, if that's okay."

"Please don't be mad," you begged.

"I'm not, but I want to be alone. I'm just a bit upset to know that you sent me away and chose Malfoy over me, and then lied about it to me for two years."

"I know, it's horrible. I shouldn't have done that, but please forgive me, I'm so sorry. I'll do anything to make it up to you."

"I will forgive you, but for now, I'd rather be alone."

Sadly, you nodded. Getting up from her bed, you glanced one look towards her as she sat on her bed looking down, and you sighed before taking your leave out of the Gryffindor Tower and making it to the Great Hall, which you hoped to find empty. Upon finding it desolate, you walked in and closed the doors behind yourself as you made your way towards one of the benches, taking a seat at it, and merely staring on into the darkness, surrounded by utter silence.

You felt horrible; the way in which Hermione reacted was far worse than if she'd yelled at you. This way, you knew you'd truly hurt her. For her to not be mad, but upset, perhaps disappointed - it was far worse than any form of anger. Leaning on your hand, you stared before yourself at the empty hall, when suddenly, you heard the doors to the Great Hall open and close quietly and, turning to see who it was, you could make out a structure; a male structure, but the darkness prohibited you from seeing the face.

"Whoever you are, fuck off," you huffed out, turning back around.

"Not very nice," Malfoy said, his voice growing louder meaning he was approaching you. Refusing to turn his way, you rolled your eyes. Now, you felt him sit down. He had sat down beside you, and it was incredibly closer; you could not feel his touch, but you could gently hear his breath. He was close, alright. He had sat down sideways, astride on the bench, meaning his entire body was open and facing towards you.

Your breathing had immediately increased, but you still refused to turn towards him. Closing your eyes gently as you faced away, you inhaled deeply trying to stay in control, prohibiting any thoughts of your dream, intrusive thoughts, or desires to encompass your mind. It was the darkness - the inability to see each other, having to depend on the sound of one another's breath and heart beat. It was the dependence on the smaller factors, and mere presences, that made the situation ultimately intimate, causing you to grit your teeth and clench your fists. You swallowed your saliva, trying to keep your cool, but panic arose when you realised how loud your swallow seemed, and you began to wonder whether Malfoy heard it.

"Look at me," he ordered.

"No."

"Potter."

"No."

"Look at me," he instructed once more. The tone in which he demanded this meant you could no longer refuse. Turning to the side, with your eyes open, your eyes met his within the darkness. His shiny blue eyes, merging with yours, illuminating each other back and forth. "Why're you in here?" He asked, his voice low, controlled, calm, almost a whisper.

"Because," you paused, "why not?"

"Why not?" He repeated, his voice growing gradually quieter.

"Why're you in here?" You asked, carrying your leg over the bench, meaning you too were now sitting astride, facing him in the darkness.

"Because," he smirked, "why not?"

"Not an answer," you whispered.

"Likewise, Potter."

"Fuck off, Malfoy."

"I don't listen to low-lives like you," he said ever so lowly, his voice barely audible in your eyes, yet ever so alluring.

"I don't want you in here."

"Are you sure?"

You paused, unable to answer. Your mind wandered.

"Potter," he said, snapping you out of your short-lived thoughts, knowing full well what your mind was easing into.

"Malfoy."

"You're disgusting," he hummed quietly, somehow finding himself closer to you, your knees touching, his hot breath gently trickling down your lips again as he looked down at you.

"And who're you to talk?" You whispered back, gently leaning your head back.

"I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."