A Mutual Enemy

On the final night of the summer holidays, you bore a dream.

"[F/n]," Draco said softly, standing on top of a beautiful balcony, outside a large ballroom in which people were dancing, partying, giggling and laughing. Upon you was a gorgeous red gown, extending down to the floor. Your hair was done ever so beautifully, and the makeup upon your face outlined all your features perfectly. Draco, too, wore upon himself a beautiful black suit, with a red rose in his pocket - the rose matching the colour of your very dress exactly. The wind was gently blowing, and the night atmosphere matched your beauty perfectly. All you could hear was the music gently in the background, coming from inside, as Draco leaned on the golden railing. You, however, stood on the opposite side of the balcony, due to its large size, and you smiled faintly at Draco as he proceeded, "I wish to dance with you."

"We can dance, Draco."

"No, we can't."

"And why is that?"

"Everyone is in there. If we dance together, they will see. And if we dance together, you know what that means."

"If we dance together," you smiled brightly, "it means we are committing to each other. Forever. You and I."

"Exactly. We are not made for that, [F/n]," he said, sadly, before looking out.

For a moment, you felt your chest fall and be crushed. You felt the very same way you'd felt in those dreams before; the desolate atmosphere of the dream, the distance between you and Draco. However, after a moment, the thoughts you consciously told yourself, outside your dream, began to flow into your subconscious, through into the dream, whereupon you began to remember: you are [F/n] Potter. Everything is possible. You are the ruler of your universe. If you wish to do something, you will do something. There is no one stopping you. If you want to, you will.

"Draco," you finally said, looking up with a smile.

"What is it?"

"Let's dance."

"We've established it. We cannot. We cannot commit to each other. And by dancing, that will happen."

"Then allow it to happen."

"You sound insane!" He cried out.

"Very well. Then," you stepped forward to him, closing the distance between you. And with this, you offered your hand to him. "Let us be insane together."

"Do you hear yourself?"

"I very much do. I wish to dance with you, Draco, even if it means staying on my feet and swaying with you forever." You paused. "Do you want to dance with me?"

"So much, I wish you knew how much."

"Then, take my hand, and allow us to be insane together."

Draco looked down at your hand, then back up at you with a worried face. You were speaking absurd words! To dance together - sinful talk! And yet, the offer to become insane together, as corrupted as it sounded, the collectivity sounded pleasing to him. To be with you. Slowly, he placed his hand in yours. Without another word, you walked through the grand, golden, double doors back into the ballroom, whereupon you led Draco into the middle of the dance floor, as people began to make space for you, gaping in shock at the sight of the two of you.

"Everyone is staring," he whispered nervously.

"Let them stare," you smiled, placing your hands on his shoulders, and wrapping them around his neck. "It's you and I, not you, I and the rest of the world."

"And what will they think of us?"

"Whatever they wish to think of us."

"Is that allowed?"