The Meaning of Youth

"Who's there?" A voice called out as a flash light began to make its way through the walls, examining every aspect of the library.

"Shit!" You whispered, and the two of you, panicked, dashed out and away from the window, escaping the flashlight at all costs. From the corner of your eye, you noticed it was none other than the librarian who constantly watched over the books, ensuring everyone was quiet and nothing was being taken out. You and Malfoy had managed to dash out of the library before she caught you, and you quickly ran out towards another hallway to avoid being spotted at all.

Both panting, you stopped running as you turned the corner and sighed, both attempting to catch your breaths.

"Almost died," you said.

"She would've knocked us out."

"Yeah, she should've, considering you were being mad cringe."

"Mad cringe?" He scoffed. "You loved it. You wanted it."

"I did not want anything."

"Yeah, yeah. I saw those puppy eyes."

"Puppy eyes? You've got it all wrong." You rolled your eyes.

"If she hadn't interrupted," Malfoy looked at you as though he wished to say more, earnestly, but held himself back out of - embarrassment, perhaps. "Do you think?"

"Do I think?"

"We would've," he closed his mouth quickly at this.

He was referring to a kiss, of course. And presently, as fun as the idea seemed, you did not want to think of conditionals - what could have been, what could have not.

"Let's not burden ourselves with conditionals."

He pursed his lips, slightly disappointed at your answer, and he thus turned away. He didn't leave you, though. He stood still, merely keeping his attention away from you, awaiting for you to continue the conversation which had taken an awkward, silent turn.

"Shall we go to bed?"

"What?" He turned to you quickly, his cheeks now gleaming of a red colour. "Bed?"

"Yeah? Like, to our beds, to our dorms?"

"Oh," he nodded.

"Why? What'd you think?"

"Nothing," he shook his head. "Yeah, alright."

And the two of you began to make your way through the hallways, slowly strolling through to the dungeons. Little conversation happened between the two of you; rather, it was a matter of awkwardness and not knowing whether to be kind or brutal to each other. And so, it resulted in a deafening silence. Were you to insult him, scold him, for everything he had done? Or were you to smile at him, care for him, for almost kissing him just a couple of minutes before? The complexity of your situation and relationship caused uncertainty in speech, and therefore you placed your worth on silence, knowing it could not better, but not worsen, the situation. When you'd finally arrived at the Slytherin common room, you lingered around for a moment, both of you awkwardly waiting to say something as you watched each other from different parts of the common room.

"So, you're going to bed?" He asked.

"Well, not just yet."

Awkward silence. The two of you looking around, trying to find a matter to speak of.

"You happy with Parkinson?"

"Oh, Pansy? Yeah, yeah, she's great."

You nodded in acknowledgement, still looking around uncomfortably, hoping the conversation would end soon.