The Yule Ball

"[F/n], hurry up!" Hermione called out, as you quickly finished looking at yourself in the mirror. A beautiful black dress, which outlined your features perfectly. Light, gentle makeup, and your hair done up in a gorgeous plait bun. For a moment, you could not stop looking at yourself in the mirror. You really did look beautiful. And, so did Hermione. The two of you had your hair and makeup matched, and you decided to enter the Yule Ball together.

"I'm coming!" You called out, taking one last final look, twirling around before the mirror, before finally setting off and out with Hermione in the direction of the Great Hall.

"You look so beautiful!" She beamed. "Cedric is going to love it."

"And so do you, Miss Granger! Krum won't be able to take his eyes off you."

The two of you giggled like little children playing dress up. And finally, as you turned the corner, you were about to descend the stairs by which everyone stood, awaiting their partners, meaning everyone was going to see you. With an inhale, you and Hermione nodded at each other with huge grins, and finally turned the corner and began to make your way down the stairs, with linked arms. Immediately, without another second, everyone – and I mean, everyone – turned their eyes to look at the two of you. The crowd's mouths dropped, and they looked in awe at the two of you. Krum was smiling proudly as Hermione went down, as was Cedric. However, in the back of the crowd, you managed to catch sight of a beautiful, blue pair of eyes which belonged to none other than Draco Malfoy. The way in which his eyes were cast upon you made you feel like a princess, and the gentle smile which arose on his lips told you he really did view you as one. You could not resist a smile as you continued your way down, looking at Malfoy, and his eyes expressed fondness and joy, as he looked at you proudly and even proceeded to flash you a small wink when he noticed you were smiling at him back. Internally screaming, as a teenager would, you bit your lip to avoid a larger smile, and you looked away, knowing that the longer you looked at him, the harder it would be to stay away from him.

You made your way towards Cedric, and he smiled like the proud boyfriend he is, before taking your hand, gently bowing, and then placing a gentle kiss upon the hand he was holding.

"I'm very lucky," he smiled. "You look so beautiful."

"And you, Mr Diggory, look rather handsome," you said in a playful, formal tone. He smiled at this, and stood upright before pulling you in closer and placing his arm around your waist.

"We have to go in in pairs. The participants of the tournament lead the rest."

"We're both participants and we chose to go with each other," you laughed.

"See, we're efficient!"

And so you entered the Great Hall, which was plastered with ice sculptures and fake snow; everything looked so glistening and bright, and made you feel as though you were a princess in your own ice castle. You felt so small compared to all the grand decorations, and the smile which they brought out in you was undoubtedly one that every boy would fall in love with.

"It's so beautiful!" You grinned happily.

"Isn't it?" Cedric agreed, linking your arm and walking through.

The most exciting part, however, was the fact that both you and your best friend had the opportunity to lead the rest of the crowd, due to the fact that she had paired up with another participant. Knowing that Hermione was just behind you, you quickly turned around half-way as you continued walking and muttered a "use protection" to her, at which she shook her head with a laugh and nudged you on to keep walking.

When it was time to dance, there was no doubt of yours and Cedric's dancing ability and, arguably, the two of you were the best dancers in the room, as you swayed from side to side ever so graciously with gentle smiles as you looked upon each other. Yes, for now, this was the most ecstatic dance you could offer.

But time went on, dances were shared, partners were switched, drinks were drunk, food was eaten, laughter was exchanged, and the night proved a large success. At one moment of the night, you and Hermione stood by the food section and proceeded to gossip as to how your partners are doing, and how exciting the night is.

"He's so funny, [F/n]! I don't think you understand! If I didn't know better, I'd say I'm in love!"

"Then go! Go to your prince, Mademoiselle!" You nudged her on, and pushed her back to her prince, which she did not argue with but went on willingly, leaving you alone.

And then, standing alone, you caught sight of Draco Malfoy's eyes across the ballroom as he looked upon you with a smile, and awkwardly looked away when he noticed you had looked at him. You could not resist a smile at this, and you continued looking at him, waiting for him to turn back. He did, eventually, and raised his eyebrow at you as you looked at him.

"You're ugly," you mouthed to him.

"You're uglier," he quickly mouthed back with a playful smirk.

The two of you shook your heads with smiles, and he was thus urged on by Pansy to go elsewhere. He had no choice but to accept, and was therefore dragged off and out of your sight by his girlfriend.

At one point, you and Hermione shared a dance, as your partners had gone to get themselves something to eat and drink. All your friends could not help but laugh as the two of you overtook the dance floor, and you noticed Draco also watching from the back of the ballroom. At another moment, you shared a dance with Harry, as he could not stop talking about how you're growing up and how happy he is to see you finally happy. And, though certainly happy at this very moment, you pursed your lips slightly and debated within yourself whether you truly were happy.

"[F/n]?" Harry asked, slowing down the dance slightly. "Are you happy?"
"Of course I am."
"Not completely, you're not," he frowned. "What's wrong?"
"Oh, nothing, Harold," you frowned too, not wishing to talk about this any further.

"Well, you don't have to tell me now. But you will soon, won't you?"

"I don't think you'd want to hear it."

"Is it very bad?" He asked.

"Well, for you, yes. In the grand scheme of things, no."

"As long as you're not fucking Malfoy, I don't see what could be so bad," he laughed humorously, hoping to lighten the atmosphere, but it only horrified you further and made you force your laugh. He noticed this forced laughter, but he did not comment on it, but proceeded to carry on this conversation in his own mind. "You're not though, right?" He quickly added, just to double check.

"No, of course I'm not."

"Have you and Cedric?"

"No, Harry! Stop it, you're being weird."

"I'm just looking out for you." He paused. "You will use protection, yes? And if he hurts you or something, you tell me."

"Harry!"

"Alright, alright, I'll stop!"