Just Stargazing

That evening, the four of you sat outside on one of the towers, gazing out onto the fields and wondering where Lupin and Sirius may have gone. It was certainly an eventful night, especially for you and Harry, finding out that not all your family was gone. It was amazing to hear that you had the opportunity to have a new home now, living with Sirius, but you remained worried of the dementors and whether they would come for him anytime soon.

"Where do you think that the rumour came from that he worked with Voldemort?" Hermione asked.

"Who knows," Harry sighed.

You checked the time, and upon seeing the clock hit nine, you stood up. "I'm supposed to go meet McGonagall. I'm going to find out whether I can stay at Hogwarts or not. She's had the meeting."

"Good luck, [F/n], and know that we'll protest if need be," Hermione said, standing and giving you a hug.

"Yeah, tell us how it goes." Harry said.

You thus nodded and left the tower, walking down and through the school to McGonagall's office. When you finally reached her office, out of it you noticed Malfoy coming out. Seeing you, he panicked a little, but quickly diverted his gaze.

"Getting kicked out of the school, I hear, Potter." He smirked, walking past and not waiting for you to reply. With a sigh, you followed into McGonagall's office.

"Ah, [F/n], you're here. Take a seat," she said, smiling. You did as you were told. "I spoke with the other teachers and we spoke of the best solution for you."

"And?"

McGonagall paused. "Did you see Mr Malfoy coming out just now?"

"Yes. He said I'm getting kicked out."

She smiled faintly and looked down at her desk, then with an inhale, looked back up at you. "That's interesting, seeing as he came in here to tell me that you shouldn't get kicked out because it always has been him and his friends pestering you, and that they've always started everything."

"He what?" You almost choked on your own words.

"Very mature of him, I think." She smiled. "Don't you?"

"I mean," you paused, "yeah, I guess. It's just a bit odd."

"So, in conclusion, you are staying at Hogwarts, but you will have detention for the rest of the week for breaking Miss Parkinson's jaw. The same way, Miss Parkinson and her friends have detention for the rest of the month for continuous bullying of you. And if it persists, we'll take more action."

You smiled widely at the news and nodded, approving of it.

"Oh and also, your detentions will be with Mr Malfoy," McGonagall flashed you a cheeky smile.

"What? Why do I have to be with him?"

"Well, he needs to be punished for bullying you too."

"Why can't he go with the girls?"

"You two seem to get along so well."

"Get along so well?" You raised your eyebrow as though she'd just said the most absurd thing ever.

"Saving each other in the Chamber of Secrets. Owning up to save the other from expulsion. I don't know, seems like getting along to me."

"Fighting and arguing everyday too, don't forget!"

"Of course. Go on now."

With a frustrated smile, you got up and left McGonagall's office, overall very relieved to find out that you were allowed to stay at Hogwarts. You spread the news to your Gryffindor friends, Ravenclaw friends, and then your Hufflepuff friends, including Cedric Diggory, who hugged you at the information and refused to let go.

"I'm just so glad you're staying!" He beamed with joy as the two of you stood in the middle of the dark courtyard. "I was really worried you'd go."

"Well, I'm staying!" You smiled excitedly. "And, don't tell anyone, but there's something I have to tell you."

"You can trust me with anything. What is it?" He asked, taking a hold of your hand and leading you over to a nearby bench, whereupon the two of you sat on it in mere darkness, only seeing each other's eyes through the reflection of moon enlightening them.

"You know Sirius Black?"

"Yes. Of course."

"He's here."

"What? Where? [F/n] we have to-"

"No. He's a good person."

"A good person? [F/n], he could be manipulating you. Are you insane?"

"Cedric," you quickly calmed him down, placing a hand on his cheek and smiling gently. "It's okay. He really is a good person. He's my godfather."

"He's," Cedric paused, confused, "he's your what?"

"My godfather. My father, Sirius and Professor Lupin were all best friends when they were younger. But another friend of theirs, who we caught but has run off again, sold my parents to Voldemort."

"Are you sure? Are you sure you can trust that story, [F/n]?"

"Yes, Cedric, I'm sure." You said with a faint smile, brushing your thumb over his cold cheek as an attempt to both warm his cheek, as well as calm his soul.

"Then why was he in Azkaban?"

"They must have made a mistake."

"And who's the person who betrayed your parents?"

"His name is Peter Pettigrew. He was disguised as Ron's rat. We caught him, but he ran away again. I don't know where he is now."

"Is he on school grounds?"

"No, he ran off into the fields as a rat again."

Cedric sighed, but felt ultimately peaceful as he lifted his hand up to his face and intertwined his fingers with yours, gently holding your hand against his cheek and smiling at you. Finally, he took your hand and lowered it onto his lap, where he held your hand and brushed it with his own thumb, smiling gently at you through the darkness.

"You're so cute," he said, laughing gently. "So many people are scared of you, but I just don't see it."

"I wish more people thought like you."

"Really?"

"No. I kind of like being feared," you chuckled lightly.

"That's why you're a Slytherin," he too laughed as gently as ever, though his smile revealed his ultimate happiness.

"Wait, oh my God, you're actually right. Now I get why I'm a Slytherin."

"Only took you three years."

You laughed with Cedric, and you continued to joke and laugh for another while when sitting outside. Admiring the stars, you ended up lying down on the bench, your head rested on Cedric's lap, as the two of you looked up, pointing towards the stars and identifying different shapes the stars formed.