Letter for Draco

Already sixteen, it was time to do some good for yourself. Thus, by the end of the first week of the holidays, you already managed to get yourself a summer job which gave you the opportunity to avoid the Dursleys at all costs as you took on every shift you possibly could. Harry, to avoid them too, spent most of his time in the cafe you worked at and would often go on mocking you whenever you served someone, and would video you and purposely mock everything you did. Sometimes, he did extra work for the next Hogwarts year at his table at the cafe. Nevertheless, he stayed during late hours which gave you the opportunity to talk to someone when the cafe had cleared.

"Get me a coffee," Harry said one evening, sitting at his laptop and looking at it intently.

"Get it yourself," you scoffed.

"You literally work here."

"Oh, right," you nodded before heading to the till and making Harry a coffee. You were supposed to close up this evening, thus it was just you and Harry. You placed the coffee down onto his table before leaning over and looking at what he was reading on his laptop, only to find an article. "What's this?"

"Apparently," he began, "on the day our parents died, the muggles here noticed the odd behaviour. There's actual articles about it - people wearing cloaks, celebrating, odd things happening - but no one knows why. All the wizards must've been celebrating that Voldemort was gone, and the muggles noticed."

"Wow," you raised your eyebrows, "that's pretty cool. Do you think Voldemort will attack again soon?"

"No doubt. We have to find a way to defeat him. There's got to be a reason as to why he's still alive, how he keeps coming back, and why he's so powerful. Something has to be keeping him alive."

"A spell, maybe?"

"Maybe," he sighed, "but we don't know what that spell would be."

"What about all the Death Eaters?"

"I heard that," Harry looked up at you from his screen, "I heard that most of them from the Department of Mysteries actually got caught and got sent to Azkaban."

You paused for a moment, recalling King's Cross Station and how only Draco's mother stood with him. Could it be? Could it be that his father was sent to Azkaban? Partly of your doing? And ... what would Draco be told? Would his mother tell him that Lucius was sent to Azkaban because he is a Death Eater? That would be mean that Draco would find out! Your chest tightened at the thought. And, closing your eyes momentarily, you prayed to yourself that Draco would fight against whatever awaited him.

"Do you think ... Lucius was sent to Azkaban?"

"I wouldn't doubt it," Harry said. "I hope he was."

"Yes, me too."

"Why do you look sad?"

"Sad? Not at all."

"Let's hope they chuck in Malfoy right after." Harry scoffed. "That boy had the audacity to come and stay with us at Grimmauld Place. His family is our enemy, and he bathes in our house? What a piss take."

"He came with good intentions."

"Good intentions my ass," Harry groaned, "he probably came to spy on us. Don't you remember what Sirius told us? They know how to act ... how to blend in. He's one of them."

"No, he's not."

"Yes, [F/n], don't be ridiculous."

"I'm not being ridiculous!"

"What the hell has gotten into you?" Harry frowned, looking at you.

"Nothing, it's just ... no point jumping to conclusions."

Harry rolled his eyes and turned back to his laptop, sipping on his coffee and ignoring you from there on. Sighing, you headed back to the till where you grabbed the broom and began to sweep, preparing to close.

Draco remained on your mind throughout the entirety of the holidays. Whilst you were excited to reconcile with him, you could not help but feel the eerie discomfort with every thought that passed you of the sixth year. You knew that ... whatever it was, something bad was going to happen. Every time you had the uncomfortable feeling, something always happened. All those times you felt uneasy before Voldemort appeared ... yes, you trusted your gut feeling. Thus, whilst you were partially excited for the sixth year, you knew that you had to be prepared for the worst.

What if Draco, nonetheless, met someone over the holidays who sparked his interest more? What if he was introduced to the most perfect and ideal girl for him? Your heart would truly shatter. Gosh - you disliked your happiness being so reliant on someone. You already missed the days of your independence. But then again, this was predictable. You knew from the first day that by admitting your feelings for Draco, you were signing yourself up for endless conflicts due to the contrasting nature of your lives. You were built for battle.

And, one evening, sitting in your bedroom, you sat at the desk and after hours of debating, finally decided to pull out a pen and paper. Staring at the paper, you bit down on the tip of the pen.

Dear Draco,

I hope you're -

No, that sounds too formal. You screwed up the piece of paper before throwing it behind yourself. Pulling out another piece of paper, you stared again.

Yo Malfoy, -

No, that sounds way too weird. Thus, you screwed it up again and with a frown threw it behind yourself. This action proceeded for five more pieces of paper. You simply did not know how to structure a letter like this ... to Draco ... someone who you were in love with. You'd never been in love before, and you didn't know how to act upon it, especially not with your feelings towards a Malfoy. Sighing, you groaned and continued.

To Draco,

I don't know if I should be writing this to you. I don't know if it'll get to you, or if someone will find it on the way and screw it up or tear it to pieces. It's worth a shot, though. I hope you enjoy my handwriting.

It's been a couple of weeks now. I'm not going to say I miss you because that's really fucking weird and I don't miss you at all. Nevertheless, I'm wondering how you're doing. I hope you are okay.

I'm stuck with the Dursleys unfortunately, still getting beat, lol ('laugh out loud', but I use it ironically). To avoid them, I took on a job. I work at a cafe in the Metro. Do you remember when we took the Metro? Yes, I work underground. It's very nice though! I work with an older lady and a boy who's 18. They're both lovely. She's called Gemma and he's called Jack. Last week, the Dursleys made me cook them dinner so I undercooked the bacon purposely. They made me sleep outside for it, but Harry managed to sneak me in during the night.

What about you? What have you been doing? I know you might not be able to respond. Well, I hope you know that I think about you. I mean, I don't. Well, I do ... but rarely. But I am worrying about you. But not in a cringy way. Well, you get the point!

I'm excited for the sixth year. Not for you, of course. Like ... I'm just excited. For the lessons and stuff. God, I'm being awkward even on a letter, but I've already written five and screwed them up, so I'm promising myself to send this one.

I hope you are well.

I do miss you, a bit. A lot. Shut up. K bye.

Instead of signing the letter off, in a panicking manner, you shoved it into an envelope and immediately opened Albus' cage. With a weak smile, you placed the letter into his beak and he, flashing you a soft and loving look, immediately flew out the window quickly. All you were left to do was pray that the letter got to Draco safely, and that no one but him would open it.