Curse the Secrecy

Back at Hogwarts, you found out the worst news. Sitting at breakfast at the Gryffindor table, the one and only Dolores Umbridge announced, to the rest of the school, of Dumbledore's leave. Of course, you already knew this. It was simply what followed after that struck you and your friends. The announcement that ... she was the new Headmistress. You and Harry, in unison, choked on your food as you looked up from your plates onto the mad woman, who stood at the front with the ridiculous smile upon herself.

"I'm going to wipe that bonnet off her fucking head," you clenched your fists, ready to stand up and start a riot, but you were quickly held back down by Hermione and Ron.

"It won't get you anywhere," Hermione said.

"It'll get her to the fucking grave."

"You know it won't." Hermione held you down. "Calm down. We'll have to think of a way around this."

As much as you wanted to, you did not see Draco Malfoy for quite a while. You'd become excessively busy with your own studies, with the new DADA textbooks, with practicing with Harry, with practicing Quidditch, that Draco began to suspect your avoidance. Due to this, you began to grow excessively tired more often, and so your nightly roams were cut short as you found yourself in bed a lot earlier, hoping to be more awake for the next day, which contained a lot more additional learning. And so, growing tired of not being able to see you, Mr Malfoy had no other choice but to seek you out during the day, and he chose lunch to be the perfect time to do so. As you sat with all your Gryffindors, you all laughed along, when Ginny, who sat opposite you, looked up and behind you at something, causing you to also turn around and face Draco Malfoy.

"What do you want, Malfoy?" Ron furrowed his brows.

"Not here for you, Weasley."

"We don't have time for you, Malfoy," Harry added.

"Let him speak," Ginny quickly said, looking at you, then Draco, then you again. Draco's disliking of Ginny decreased for this, and he looked at her for a moment, nodded his head approvingly, then turned to you.

"Potter."

"What do you want?"

"A word."

"No."

"It wasn't a question."

Groaning, you lifted yourself from the table.

"I'll be back in a second," you said.

"Maybe," Draco whispered. And thus, the two of you exited the Great Hall together. Eyes were on you, a lot, especially Cedric's and Pansy's, soon followed by Blaise's, watching intently, curious. When outside, Draco turned to you. "Have you been avoiding me?"

"No. Why?"

"You haven't seen me in days, and you're never around late anymore."

"Sorry," you sighed, "I've just had a lot to do. A lot of stuff going on."

"Such as?"

"I can't ... say ... exactly," you paused, considering telling him for a moment, but then remembering Sirius' words of having to be careful. But - surely Draco was no evil person? Had he been evil, he would not have cared for you all those times he did. He would not have sat at the Hospital Wing with you, awaiting the moment you awoke. He would not have helped you with all the tasks. As horny as he was, he cared for you, undoubtedly, and though he showed it rarely, when it did shine through, it was strong.

"I could help with something," he said, quietly. He was looking upon you intently, a mixture of frustration and worry.

Yes, he could. You opened your mouth to tell him. Yet, you were forced to close it again. He could not know. You did not know him well enough, and you risked bringing down your entire team which worked ever so hard. Though you trusted he was a good person, Sirius' words lied heavily on your heart. And plus, who knew what was to come with Lucius.

You did, however, feel bad for having left Draco for so long without a word. Though neither of you openly admitted it, the meeting between the two of you became a norm and, somehow, the two of you felt lightly empty without it.

"I'm sorry for not seeing you, but I promise I'll make it up to you," you said, smiling and brushing his fringe back to expose his forehead and see his face as a whole as he stood before you, looking down with a gentle smile. "If you want, I'll even get on my knees," you said humorously (though you weren't joking), and Draco could not help but smile and shake his head as he took a hold of your waist.

"As much as I'd like that, I wouldn't mind just doing stuff with you ... like talking or," he paused, "tell me about the book you're reading."

"You don't want to listen to me talk about books, I guarantee you that," you laughed.

"No, no, I do."

Taken aback by his seriousness, you raised your eyebrows. A smile played along your lips. And so, you wrapped your arm around Draco's neck and held onto the back of his head, lowering him down to yourself, which he accepted easily and kissed you gracefully, not wishing to part due to the lack of your lips for so long. Hearing laughter coming from around the corner, however, in the last moment you managed to let go of each other, step back, and proceed with:

"You're fucking disgusting," he spat out.

"And who do you think you're talking to?"

"Scum of the Earth," he sneered, "so fuck off back to your Hufflepuff boyfriend - oh, wait!"

"Same goes for you, Mr I Can't Keep a Girlfriend!"

And finally, the people laughing had passed, leaving you and Draco alone again. And, without a second hesitation, you were brought back to each other again, arms around the other, lips pressed against each other.

"We have to go back, they'll get suspicious," you whispered out, against his lips.

"Curse the secrecy," he also whispered out, planting one last final kiss on your lips before fixing himself, as you did the same to yourself, and the two of you headed back into the Great Hall, forced faces of frustration and anger as though you'd just had an argument.

"What did he want?" Harry asked.

"Told me to leave Slytherin's Seeker position."

"He's just petty," Hermione scoffed. Meanwhile, only Ginny flashed you a knowing look, hiding her half-smirk, half-smile, and you also reciprocated the gentle smile.

Malfoy, on the other hand, had a very different conversation.

"What did you say?" Blaise asked, suspicion growing.

"If she's completed the work Snape gave us in detention the other day."

Blaise paused.

"Detention? You didn't have detention with Snape the other day, with her. The last detention the two of you had together was a couple of weeks ago."

Draco paused.

"Yeah ... I meant that detention."

Blaise squinted his eyes suspiciously as he watched Draco, who now avoided his gaze at all costs.