The Pin

"What's that?" Blaise asked, watching Draco as he twirled a pin in his fingers, staring at it longingly. Draco did not respond immediately. In fact, he did not at all. And, when Blaise looked upon him some longer, he noticed the sombre expression upon Draco's face; the underlying melancholy and dejection. Blaise repeated the question, assuming Draco did not hear.

"Huh?" Draco asked this time, turning to Blaise in a vulnerable state of confusion, having been snapped out of his thoughts.

"What's that? In your hand."

"Oh, this?" Draco asked, turning back to the pin and playing around with it for a while longer. "It's a pin."

"Yeah, I see that. But why do you have it?"

Draco sighed wearily for a moment, gazing at the pin. "It's [F/n]'s."

Blaise cleared his throat, understanding completely now. Draco's own solemnity began to reflect itself on Blaise; Blaise himself began to grow worried, nervous, realising that he really left you, [F/n] Potter, his very dear friend, alongside Ginny Weasley who was also a dear friend to him - he'd allowed the two of you to leave, knowing you could be walking into your deaths.

"Draco," Blaise sighed, speaking softly and quietly as to not startle his best friend, "I know you're worried. I'm worried too. But you can't just sit there twirling her pin around in your fingers."

"What am I supposed to do then?"

"Well ... get your mind off it, maybe."

"You really expect me to get my mind off it when she's gone? Blaise ... you didn't hear what she said to me before she left."

Warily, Blaise asked: "What did she say?"

Draco paused for a moment, repeating the sentence in his own head, hearing your desolate tone when you said it.

"Just this time," you whispered, "leave me. Then, from here on, never leave me."

Just this time. Just this time. Just this time. All Draco could think was, For Merlin's sake [F/n]. Why, of all times, has the one time got to be when you could be walking into your death? When I can't do anything about it? And the thoughts of your danger would spiral in his mind. Suddenly, Draco also remembered what Hermione Granger had suggested ... that it was no reality, that it was merely Voldemort's illusion to lure [F/n] and Harry Potter into his trap.

Was that true? Could that be true? And if it was, what did that mean for you? Nevertheless, Draco could not help his thoughts, knowing that you, a mere sixteen year old, had gone off with some more sixteen and fifteen year olds, to face the most dangerous wizard of all time. And Draco simply let you do it.

"She gave me this pin back at the Yule Ball," Draco whispered finally, guilt overwhelming him so severely that his own chest began to hurt, but he fought against the pain and attempted to ignore it.

"This isn't good," you sighed, stopping the dance and brushing your face. "It's so," you closed your mouth, at a loss of words.

"I know." He quickly fixed his suit. "But," he smiled, before taking off his blazer and putting it around your shoulders. "You still look good."

"Likewise."

"And you look even better with my blazer."

You smiled, taking a hold of the blazer around your shoulders and putting it on tighter. It smelled of him; so naturally alluring – a mixture of his natural, sweet scent alongside his cologne, and for a moment, you felt yourself daze into the smell and feel of it, not wanting to ever take it off.

"Oh," he said, approaching you closer again before reaching his arm up into your hair.

"What're you doing?"

He took something out of your hair, and then opened his palm to show you what he'd taken out; it was a pin.

"What do you need my pin for?"

"You've got my blazer. I've got your pin."

"It's just a pin," you smiled softly, shaking your head.

"Not just a pin. It's your pin."

Taking the pin out of his hand, you lifted your arms up, stood up on your tiptoes, and brushed his hair back with your hand before using your very own pin to pin his hair back, making him look humorously pretty.

"And she, uh," Draco smiled faintly, remembering very vividly the moment, as he gently laughed to himself quietly, "and she stood on her tiptoes ... and put the pin in my hair. I've kept it ever since."

Blaise was at a loss of words. He merely sat at the table, beside Draco, looking at him silently. So suddenly, Blaise felt Draco's pain. But moreover, a thing became very clear to Blaise. More clear than ever. He'd suspected it, he'd joked about it, but in this moment, not a single bone, vein, nerve in his own body doubted Draco Malfoy's very feelings for you, [F/n] Potter. And, knowing this, he could only guess how much guilt was eating Draco up, devouring him from the inside, demolishing him entirely. Even Blaise felt horrified at the thoughts of what could be happening to you; he could only guess how it made Draco feel. Blaise did, indeed, have an idea - a plan ... but it was a reckless, terrible idea. Yet, he opened his mouth, ready to tell Draco, however panicking, closed it again quickly. His leg began bouncing up and down as his eyes rapidly scanned the room, analysing the idea and evaluating whether it was worth telling Draco or not. It was one word, and he knew that, if he shared the idea with Draco, there would be absolutely no turning back.

"I'll never forgive myself if something's happened to her," Draco whispered to himself, his eyes low on your pin as he continued to twirl it around in his shaky fingers.

"Alright, that's enough!" Blaise finally burst out. "Let's go."

"Let's go? Where?" Draco asked, turning to Blaise, shocked at his sudden outburst.

"Get your wand. We're going to the Ministry of Magic."

Draco's eyes widened at Blaise's sudden proposal. And yet, not a single bone in Draco's body doubted Blaise's decision. He did not protest, nor question, nor inquire about it. Rather, a rush of adrenaline sped through Draco's body as he jumped up off his seat, grabbing his wand off the table and, instinctively, pinning his fringe back with your pin.

"Draco ... this is dangerous. Are you sure you're okay with it?" Blaise asked, double-checking to ensure Draco's burst of courage wasn't just in the moment.

"She saved me in the Chamber of Secrets ... I have to be there for this."