It Is What It Is

You groaned, leaning on your hand, falling asleep. There was little to say, little to think, little to do. For now, at least. Words seemed meaningless; it was so difficult to tell what was to happen, what was building up. And, all that pondered in your mind, was the manner in which Lucius pleaded before Voldemort. You could not quite believe that Draco had such close ties to Voldemort. The darkest wizard of all time. You could not help but wonder: does he know?

"[F/n]? Are you even listening?" Harry asked, snapping his fingers before your face. No, you were not. It was late. It was 3am. And you were sitting downstairs, at the round dining table, listening to Harry's meaningless words. "Come on, listen, this is important."

"Is it, Harry? There's no predicting what's going to happen. We make a plan now, but everything ends up differently, and then what?"

"Well it's better to have a plan that could go wrong, than have no plan at all."

"Do you really think that?"

Harry silenced himself, sitting back in his chair, looking up at the ceiling, and groaning.

"Well, [F/n], what the hell do we do then?"

"I need some sleep," you frowned. "But my insomnia has gotten worse recently."

"Really? I thought it got better ages ago."

"It did, but it's gotten worse again. I struggle to attain three hours nowadays, and I keep dreaming."

"It's the stress and everything that's been happening," Harry frowned, "but I need you to calm down, [F/n]. Remember who the hell you are, alright? You're not [F/n] Potter for no reason."

"For a shitty reason, apparently."

"Shitty reason? Did Malfoy tell you that? Sort yourself out. You're a Slytherin, for God's sake. Ambition. Cunning. Leadership. Determination. Pride. They're your traits, [F/n]. And you're going to let some dumb wizard like Voldemort, or Tom Riddle, ruin it for you?"

"You don't understand," you rolled your eyes, turning away.

"Don't understand what? That suddenly now, when everything gets real, you're backing out? Sort it out, will you? Mum and dad didn't die for you to crumble down to pieces when the time comes."

"Don't bring mum and dad into this," you furrowed your brows at Harry, much sharper than ever before.

"Really? Because it seems like they are already in this. They're the reason we're here. So get your shit together, and realise you're stuck in this, whether you like it or not. So might as well suck it up and avenge our God damn parents. Stop being a fucking pussy, [F/n]. There is much for us to do, so get your shit together and stop moping around and wallowing in self-pity. We're all in this. Don't let your friends die fighting for you too."

At this, Harry rose from the table and left the room, leaving you gaping at him in awe. He was ... completely right. In every aspect. There was no denying his words. Your parents died fighting for you. And, if you didn't get your shit together, your friends were going to be next. Perhaps, including Draco. Indeed! You were [F/n] Potter. You were not one to give in so weakly. You were placed in Slytherin for a reason, and therefore you were to fulfil your role.

"Alright then, we'll see who's a pussy," you whispered.

The rest of the holidays was spent particularly well. Hermione came and stayed over for four nights, and stayed with you in your bedroom. During those four days, Ron came and stayed for two. Those were the most splendid nights, as the four of you went to the cinema, to Greggs, to town shopping, and the best part of it all was Ron's amazement at the muggle world. He'd never been before, and he was in shock at everything. You spent the entire time smiling and laughing, as you began to appreciate the moments you shared with your best friends. You enjoyed the nights the four of you spent in yours or Harry's room, sitting on the floor, in the dark to avoid waking the Dursleys, giggling quietly and gossiping, or playing random board games even. You discovered ultimate joy, and wished to cherish it forever. And indeed, you let go of the negative thoughts with practice, and learned to stop wallowing in self-pity. Whenever the negative, obsessive thoughts returned, you reminded yourself that you are indeed [F/n] Potter, a girl who holds the ability to overcome anything and anyone. If you weren't going to defeat Voldemort, then who was? 'It is what it is', you told yourself often, and it usually worked.