What Have You Done

Very little happened for the following weeks. You and Draco were forced to speak to each other very little, as you became invested in your own matters. He was with his friends, you were with yours. However, you could see that he very rarely engaged in many conversations; often, he would sit and stare with his head rested on his hand, contemplating. Often, you wished to raise yourself and approach and hug him, but you knew that you couldn't for multiple reasons. He would scold you, that's for sure. The only thing that truly sparked your attention was the evening as you were returning from the Gryffindor common room to head to the Slytherin one, when you heard another pair of familiar voices. Quickly, hitting your back against the wall, you gently turned your head to the side to catch sight of the individuals. The sight astounded you more than the sight of Rowhound and Snape. Staring, you felt your breath fluctuate as your heart rate increase at the sight of Rowhound confronting none other than the boy you were in love with, Draco Malfoy. There, Draco stood against the wall, frowning with furrowed brows but a nervous look within his eyes, as Rowhound forcefully and angrily pointed his finger in Draco's face.

"Are you insane!?" Rowhound whispered out, though it was an aggressive form of a whisper which gave you ability to hear exactly what he was saying. Draco did not respond. Thus, Rowhound continued: "Stop being distracted! You know what to do with the necklace."

"I can't - "

"Ah, be quiet!" Rowhound snapped. "With your pathetic I can't - your father would be disappointed! That's all you know to be - a disappointment!"

You furrowed your brows hearing this; the manner in which Draco's face dropped, encompassed by an everlasting solemnity. Your heart ached at the sight. The depth of his emptiness reached you as you stared at his quivering eyes and the fearful manner in which they looked upon Rowhound's threatening body. It took all your might to not pull out your wand in this very moment and attack Rowhound for daring to speak to Draco in such a way.

"Stop giving all of us more reasons to mock you. Pathetic."

Finally, Draco gently opened his mouth and spoke through his gritted teeth, "you don't understand."

"Don't understand what?"

"She'll figure it out. She figures everything out."

Rowhound growled, hitting the wall beside Draco's head, as though he meant to hit Draco but inevitably missed. His hair was in an utter mess as he turned around from Draco, pacing up and down with anger overcoming him, before finally recollecting himself and facing Draco again with the manic expression upon his face.

"What the hell is wrong with all of you!? Nor Severus, nor you are useful! You've become slaves of your own enemy! If he found out - if he found out! He would have sorted you all out! But no! I've been placed to keep order here for the time being since you're both incapable!"

"You can't." Draco gulped.

"Can't what!?"

"She suspects you already."

Rowhound slowed down, staring at Draco. Warily, he backed away from Draco.

"Suspects me? And what does she suspect? And ... how do you know that she does?"

"I ... she just ... I overheard."

In a fit of rage, Rowhound pulled out his own wand and, in the most fierce manner, pressed the wand against Draco's neck as a means of threatening. However, you were not one to sit by and watch. You knew that Draco was unlikely to get hurt, but the risk remained. Thus, squeezing your eyes tightly, you gave in to your desire and, pulling out your wand, whispered "Expelliarmus," flicking your wand around the corner at Rowhound.

His wand immediately flew out of his hand, and he realised that he'd become the subject of a spell. Both Draco and Rowhound widened their eyes and faced your direction, as you hid behind the wall, holding your tongue. It was time to go. It was time to run. This way, Draco was saved, but also this way, you were in danger. You could not reveal that you were the caster of the spell. Thus, charging in the opposite direction, you sprinted down the hallway. Rowhound and Draco were already on their way towards you, and you only managed to reach the end of the hallway as they entered your hallway. Thus, in the final moment, you turned the corner, almost slipping on the way. Only in the final second did Draco catch a glimpse of your hair waving behind you, disappearing into the distance into the other hallway. At the mere sight of the hair, he gulped, his throat tight.

You'd sprinted all the way back to the Slytherin common room, running all the way without a stop. The idea of being caught absolutely petrified you, for the conversation between Draco and Rowhound was far too menacing for you. With a groan, you relaxed when inside the common room, knowing you weren't going to be chased this far. You flopped down onto one of the sofas before staring ahead of yourself at the fireplace. Winter was approaching. A cold night it was. An eerie night it was. You wished you hadn't heard the conversation you had, because now you were overwhelmed with a feeling of dissatisfaction and negativity. Your chest had tightened and your throat was filled with the lump of tears, knowing a truth you refused to admit.

You ran your hand through your hair, slouched on the sofa. Slowly you slipped into a state of dissociation. Your field of view became blurry as your head emptied itself of conscious thoughts; all that you could acknowledge, scarcely, was the blurry dancing of the flame from the fireplace in your peripheral vision. You wished to hold thoughts; you wished to be a conscious being, but currently, you could not help from being in a passive state with no acknowledgement of your own existence. Everything seemed so distant. Life was now but a blur in your view. The slow pacing of the fire encompassed your entire mind. But, perhaps this state was easier to deal with than the striking pain that was to follow when Draco flooded your mind again. Perhaps an empty mind was better than a broken mind. An empty heart better than a broken heart, or so they say.

Oh, what have you done? You thought in a passive tone, still staring into the blurred abyss with only the flame. What have you done to yourself?