Protect the Young

"[F/n]!" Dumbledore charged in, forcing himself onto you as he grabbed onto your shoulders and practically pushed you away. "Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire!?"

"What? No, of course not!"

"You heard her, Albus!" McGonagall quickly called out from behind him, pulling him off. "She's a fourth year, for Merlin's sake! As if she would be capable of that!"

"Did someone put the name in for you?" Dumbledore asked, recollecting himself.

"No! No! No! I don't want to be here at all!"

"She is but fourteen years old," Snape added, approaching the situation. "The tournament would require spells which she has not even learned. It is too dangerous to allow her in."

"The rules," another man approached the matter - you knew him. He was there, back at the Quidditch match, the one who called himself Barty. Yes - that was him. "The rules are clear." He said with a fearful look on his face, turning to you. "[F/n] Potter must take part in the Triwizard Tournament. The Goblet has chosen her."

"What!?" You, Cedric, McGonagall and Snape all yelled in unison.

"It's a rule. I'm afraid it cannot be broken." Barty said.

"I break rules all the time - I can break this one!" You protested.

"There are severe punishments to breaking these, [F/n], I'm afraid," Barty frowned.

"Well," Mad-Eyed Moody thus appeared, protesting quickly, "what do you expect her to do? Just magically survive? The seventeen-year-old rule is there too for a reason. She is not that."

"The Goblet has chosen her." Dumbledore finally said. "[F/n] will be participating in the Triwizard Tournament."

"Albus!" McGonagall quickly yelled. "Surely, not!"

"I'm sorry," Dumbledore frowned, approaching you. "[F/n], do you think you will be capable of it?"

"Capable of it? What the fuck?" You huffed out, stepping back, unable to process it. "No, of course not."

"[F/n], there is nothing we can do," Barty said.

You turned to him with a face full of horror and disbelief. Then you turned to Dumbledore, who had the same unfortunate and apologetic look on his face. Thus McGonagall and Snape bore the same faces of worry and nerve. Fleur and Krum stood in the background of the situation, watching the matter, and both looked rather worried for you too. The truth was you were far too young to participate in something of the sort, and it was only humane to watch out for a fellow wizard or witch. And finally Cedric: his expression proved full of worry and terror. He wanted to cry, but protest, but kiss you and hug you, but cry again, but scream, but tell Dumbledore and Barty to shove their rules up their arses. But he did none of that, but watched you with a face full of dismay.

"Fine." You said, looking at everyone in the room. "Fine, then. If I die, it's on all of you and your stupid fucking rules."

No one bothered to tell you off for the use of vulgar language. Not anymore, anyway, and certainly not in the situation which was putting you under pressure and sending you to your possible death. Everyone merely watched on in horror, fearing for what was to come.

Rita Skeeter's positive attitude as she took photos and interviews only worsened the matter, making you dread the Tournament already and plead for death. Her attitude towards Cedric, too, infuriated you as she stood close during every second and stared at him for longer periods than she ought to. It got to a point when, upon taking a photo, she stared at Cedric for a little too long and began to take photos with mostly only him.

"He's seventeen, you bloody nonce!" You finally called out, unable to resist.

Everyone turned to you, and Fleur was the only one who smiled faintly and found your response at the matter somewhat humorous. Cedric and Krum were ultimately confused, and Rita became rather angry at you.

"Twist my words in the interview and I'll choke you," you threatened.

"Alright, that's enough," Cedric said with an awkward smile, holding onto you and quickly covering your mouth. "She's under a lot of pressure today, forgive her." At this, you bit Cedric's hand. "Argh! Fucking hell, [F/n]!"

"I'll bite your dick like that if you tell someone to forgive me again."

Both Fleur and Krum now released gentle laughter, and Cedric shook his head. The atmosphere grew lighter, somehow, and you spent the rest of the evening with Fleur, Krum and Cedric, all discussing the Tournament as you sat back in the Great Hall, just the four of you, discussing the situation, hoping to ease yourselves into friendships with each other to make the Tournament ultimately easier for yourselves.

"[F/n] is," Fleur paused, trying to think of the English word, "erratic."

"Erratic?" You asked. "Yeah, true," you laughed. She laughed too, glad that you knew how to take a joke and that you didn't threaten to choke her suddenly. It was truly hard to predict.

"And you are friends with Hermione Granger?" Krum asked, looking at you intently with a faint smirk, almost as though the two of you already knew what he was going to say about the matter. Reciprocating the smirk, you nodded in a hyperbolical manner, and the two of you understood the meaning behind this communication. It was splendid news! The way in which Krum looked at you about Hermione informed you that your suspicions had been correct and that, indeed, Krum had taken a liking towards Hermione. "And is she going to the Yule Ball with anyone?"

"Nope."

"I see," he said, smiling.

"And you, Fleur? Are you going with anyone?"

"I have not been invited yet," she said frowning, "I hope someone will."

"I am sure they will."

"And you?" She asked. "You and Mr Diggory, I believe?"

"Indeed," you smiled proudly, turning to Cedric with a proud smile which he immediately reciprocated and looked at you with the same energy before gently planting a soft kiss on your lips.

"You two are very cute," Fleur added in her attractive French accent.

"He's cute, isn't he?" You said, smiling.

"[F/n]," Fleur continued in a much more serious tone this time. "You are much younger, much less experienced. I believe it is our duty to take care of you. I don't know about the others, but I would hate to be in your situation, therefore I propose to help you in every way I can and look after you," she said with a gentle smile.

"Oh, Goodness," you said in awe, "you don't have to do that, I promise! Though, I thank you very much and greatly appreciate it. I promise to reciprocate and help you in any way I can."

"She probably will be the one helping more than asking for help, really," Cedric said smiling, "she's very ahead of everyone else, you'll come to find. But, anyhow, I promise to also help the younger one and protect her. With all my heart."

"Then, I've no choice," Krum said sighing in a humorous manner. "I promise to too."

"I don't want to win. I just want to survive."